7 replies to this topic

#1 teteguru1

teteguru1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • 10226 thanks

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

MPLS-TP is a low-cost L2 technology that supports connection-oriented packet transport services with a similar degree of predictability, reliability, and operation, administration, and maintenance (OAM ) found in existing transport networks. As such, it has garnered tremendous interest from the service provider community and will be a key area of product development for network equipment manufacturers (NEMs) over the next several years.

I wanted to start off with a question to the service provider community

Is there any service provider who has deployed MPLS-TP replacing the traditional SONET and if yes , how is the deployment experience (especially with the fail-over time)

Thanked by 4 Members:
indiaaaa , uukjaya , kvlnarasimharao , mdsibtain

#2 kingnajy

kingnajy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Hello, Actually in My country Carriers chosen to go with IP-MPLS Routers directly.

Since whatever L2 networks tried to be smart, they will never be as intelligent as L3.
And as you said, MPLS-TP would be a choice to replace SONET/SDH, but actually even the SONET/SDH Service Trail structure is Not Efficient any more since the world is going toward Distributed services and Clouds, so L2 Tunnels even with SONET/SDH “OAM” Capabilities cannot fit in the future networks.
But For the Time being for UMTS Carriers, it is Useful to Replace EoSDH but not more in the future. So you can call it “Temp“solution.
The other main driver for carriers to choose MPLS-TP is they need the same Operations Style as they are used in SDH/SONE, since they don’t have the Knowles to Manage or operate large IP networks.
So also they consider it as Hybrid Step until their transport Engineers get the Knowledge of IP Networking “Or replacing them”.
So the Point why Many Carriers did not choose MPLS-TP is Because they Know, it is Just a Hybrid and in The coming Steps, they have to replace it any way, also it was not Cheap solution since Most of OLD SDH/SONET Equipments Did Not Support Native Packet Proceeding, and some Old Platform sub racks did not support the Native Packet Switch fabrics, also they needed Separate fiber resource than the TDM One, and New line & tributaries Cards.
The decision is Easy, if you have to do new Investment, would you choose the Temp Solution?! I will not

Thanked by 2 Members:
indiaaaa , jobinbao

#3 packettalk

packettalk

Cisco & Juniper TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • 4167 thanks
  • LocationSouth Carolina, US

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

MPLS-TP does not replace SONET or SDH.

The SONET/SDH infrastructure is one of the most advanced layer 1 technologies out there.  It's highly unlikely that SONET/SDH is going anywhere any time soon.  I have seen companies where the Transport department attempts to also be the IP department, and I've seen companies where the IP department tried to be the Transport department.  It just doesn't work, and it will never work.  There's a good reason that Transport and IP are separate in service provider environments.

The most likely scenario is that if MPLS-TP is ever deployed by anyone, the IP department will handle the MPLS-TP portion of the Transport network while the Transport department manages the actual design of the of layer 1 network, equipment selection, installation, planning, design, etc.
packettalk
Cisco and Juniper Technical Expert
Please don't PM me with questions or requests.  Please use the forum as this will help everyone.
Please don't ask me for brain dumps or exact questions from exams.  I do not advocate the use of brain dumps and will not provide resources pointing to them.

#4 mfakha

mfakha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Is there any way to configure MPLS-TP on GNS3. In cisco documentation it is stated that IOS version 15.1S supports MPLS-TP for 7200 but when I load 15.1S on GNS3 there is no option for "mpls tp" configuration.
Please  guide me how to implement it on GNS-3.

Thanked by 1 Member:
indiaaaa

#5 sajidafridi45

sajidafridi45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postmfakha, on 17 March 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Is there any way to configure MPLS-TP on GNS3. In cisco documentation it is stated that IOS version 15.1S supports MPLS-TP for 7200 but when I load 15.1S on GNS3 there is no option for "mpls tp" configuration.
Please  guide me how to implement it on GNS-3.

#6 sajidafridi45

sajidafridi45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi

I am also asked to work on MPLS TP. Can someone assist as to how it works on GNS3.

Regards;

Thanked by 1 Member:
indiaaaa

#7 paulno1

paulno1

Cisco TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • 12362 thanks
  • Locationline con 0

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

View Postkingnajy, on 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Hello, Actually in My country Carriers chosen to go with IP-MPLS Routers directly.

Since whatever L2 networks tried to be smart, they will never be as intelligent as L3.
And as you said, MPLS-TP would be a choice to replace SONET/SDH, but actually even the SONET/SDH Service Trail structure is Not Efficient any more since the world is going toward Distributed services and Clouds, so L2 Tunnels even with SONET/SDH “OAM” Capabilities cannot fit in the future networks.
But For the Time being for UMTS Carriers, it is Useful to Replace EoSDH but not more in the future. So you can call it “Temp“solution.
The other main driver for carriers to choose MPLS-TP is they need the same Operations Style as they are used in SDH/SONE, since they don’t have the Knowles to Manage or operate large IP networks.
So also they consider it as Hybrid Step until their transport Engineers get the Knowledge of IP Networking “Or replacing them”.
So the Point why Many Carriers did not choose MPLS-TP is Because they Know, it is Just a Hybrid and in The coming Steps, they have to replace it any way, also it was not Cheap solution since Most of OLD SDH/SONET Equipments Did Not Support Native Packet Proceeding, and some Old Platform sub racks did not support the Native Packet Switch fabrics, also they needed Separate fiber resource than the TDM One, and New line & tributaries Cards.
The decision is Easy, if you have to do new Investment, would you choose the Temp Solution?! I will not

What a ridiculous thing to say, I'm taking this as you know nothing of how SDH transports PPPoE T1/E1 and ATM  oh and how about packet over sonet?

What I am seeing is Ethernet being deployed over DWDM or CWDM which are the future "light" carriers

I come from a transmission background, let's see you deploy Ethernet or IP cross-continent without these technologies

For the record MPLS is a label technology and has the ability with AToM to be deployed across any genuine L2 frame structure, SDH DWDM transport them at real fast speeds, even with the advent of emerging MPLS-TP

Edited by paulno1, 12 May 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
jobinbao

#8 amordeaa

amordeaa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 261 thanks

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

Same problem, was any one able to get this going on gns3?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top