#1 ahhyes

ahhyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hi Guys,

I bought my first Cisco AP yesterday and ran into a few issues/questions that perhaps someone can shed some light on...

First, an issue, the console port does not seem to work. I initially thought this was a problem with my USB serial converter or wrong serial/port settings in the terminal software. To verify, I walked over to my Cisco 2960 switch (which has the stock settings for the console line (ie: 9600 Baud, 8N1), plugged the RJ45 connector into the console port, and bam, worked right away. Plug it into the Cisco AP. Nothing.

Some reading leads me to believe that the default of 9600 8N1 should work just fine for this unit, but no dice. I eventually found the devices IP address which was assigned via DHCP. I was able to get in via the web interface and enable SSH. Once I logged in via SSH, i did a "sh run" and in the running config there is practically no config for console 0 at all. Just the line, "Console 0".... Interestingly, I cannot adjust the speed of the console port, it just gives me an error saying the speed cannot be changed for line console 0.

Is the console port somehow disabled? Do I need a different cable? I am concerned that the console port is not working as I like to know I have a way into the device should I lock myself out of it or screw up the configuration.

Secondly, what is the function of the "mode" button at the rear? I know it can be used to perform a reset of the device, but is that all?

Thirdly, antenna gain value for the radios. The default is zero. I have installed 3 cisco ANT2524W (dual band) antennas on the unit. I believe they have a 2db gain for the 2.4Ghz band and 4 for 5Ghz. Is it a case of taking the gain and multiplying by 3, ie, on radio0 (2.4Ghz) gain would be 6, and for radio1 (5Ghz), gain would be 12? I have the antenna setup as A,B,C antennas for both radios so it should be using all 3 antennas. Have I set these correctly or am I completely misunderstanding it?

Any advice/answers appreciated.

Thanks! :)

#2 Maninii

Maninii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • 94 thanks

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hi
for the console issue try a different terminal programm / check if flow control is disabled.
Some Cisco devices do have issues with settings which are normaly total fine. Try something oldshool like Hyperterminal.

#3 ahhyes

ahhyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostManinii, on 21 October 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

Hi
for the console issue try a different terminal programm / check if flow control is disabled.
Some Cisco devices do have issues with settings which are normaly total fine. Try something oldshool like Hyperterminal.

Hi Maninii

I'm on linux and use Minicom as the terminal program. Flow control is off.

I can plug the same RJ45 connection into all my other cisco equipment in my rack and it works right off the bat. I am just stumped at why the AP would not work in the same manner....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top