#1 shlammed

shlammed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

A little background about myself:

I've been in the IT world for about 12 years.  I basically started at the Help Desk level and worked my way up to various desktop and sys admin roles, utilizing things like Windows server, Redhat, SUSE, VMware, HP/IBM blades, etc.

I made a career decision with the same company I was with for years to lead a team which was basically leading the Incident Management function for the entire organization.  With this, I was obviously not able to continue using as much of my technical skills as I would have liked, but thought it would be good to get the leadership experience.

I've since left that role and company and work as somewhat of an application manager now.  Nothing really hands on, but I own a portfolio of applications and anything and everything to do with incidents, changes, problems, etc for those applications goes through me.

Here's my challenge;  the job pays pretty well, but it's boring as hell and serves no purpose for me at this point besides bringing home a pay cheque.  It's now been a good 3-4 years since I've done any kind of technical role and I sort of feel the urge to get back into it.  The problem is, I don't want to take a pay cut either.

I'm also torn between gettig back into a sys admin type role (i.e. renewing various microsoft certifications, picking up cisco certifications) and totally changing paths into more of a programmers role.  I feel like programming knowledge will be required for the future based on where the world is heading.

Anyway, bit of a rant on my end.  Perhaps some of you could share your thoughts or your own experiences.

Thanks

#2 alejandroanton

alejandroanton

VMWARE TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • 2638 thanks

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Hi,
i understand your challenge,i have to say that i faced the same decision some years ago when switching from business intelligence to infrastructure, and as far the years passed, i felt somehow guilty or
something like that , because i was affraid to loose that background (i surely lost some by the years).
The only thing i can tell you, is that i really love my job (i work on VMWare,Citrix,Microsft,EMC and netapp) , and this led me to keep it for years (premier for me, i used to change from one company to another a lot when programming), and this led me to be independant consultant.
When speaking about programming, scripting using powershell or linux is a real need , and quite exciting for me too

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top