ujuice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

View Postsramtam, on 20 December 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

It's working.
Tested in unl running on vmware workstation 12 pro 12.1.1 build-3770994.
You must connect e1 of RE to e1 of PFE. After booting wait  a little bit and check with : show pfe terse.
Username: root and password is Juniper, on RE

how you access it ? ssh / vnc ?

Thanked by 3 Members:
hatemezz , absyalwaer , aymankhder

#16 sramtam

sramtam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • 2185 thanks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

View Postujuice, on 20 December 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

how you access it ? ssh / vnc ?
vnc

#17 zombie99

zombie99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:13 PM

View PostTopTopology, on 20 December 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

It didn't work for me so Installed vmdk on virtualbox then export ova file to Vmware12 now I am stuck on username and password
it tried root and Juniper no success. I tried root with no password the same thing. Any idea?

The password is literally "no" as root/no

Thanked by 1 Member:
3nity

#18 TopTopology

TopTopology

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

View Postzombie99, on 20 December 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

The password is literally "no" as root/no

Thanks it worked but Pfe failed to export I'll try again later
when I set up esxi

#19 smartm

smartm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:16 AM

thanks

#20 meltdown

meltdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:33 AM

Everything works fine, use http://networkop.co.uk/blog/2016/10/26/qfx-unl/

#21 zombie99

zombie99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

I wish Juniper released evaluations for vMX and vSRX as well with all the features and using just 1 VM instead of separate RE and PFE. I miss those days when you could run vSRX with 1GB of RAM and 2 vCPUs.

#22 HermanToothrot

HermanToothrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 17283 thanks
  • LocationMonkey Island

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

Has anybody had any luck getting this to work with GNS3?  I followed the linked examples/intrsuctions in this thread, and converted the .vmdk files to .qcow2, like you would for UnetLab, and the RE vm loads up just fine. However, the PFE vm just sits at "Loading Juniper Linux".  

I was trying this in Linux Mint 18.1 using Qemu 2.6.0. KVM works, and is enabled. I was consoling in using gnome-term, and I tried to use an Arista vEOS VM as the OOB switch.

I haven't tried it in VMware Workstation yet (I don't have ESXi), and I'm trying to get Juniper to let me have access to the trial version from their site, to see if they have a KVM version, like they did with vMX, which I can get to work fine. Since I don't have a serial number (real QFX switches are too damned expensive), and I'm a one-man company, I doubt I'll have much luck going that route.

Any ideas on why the PFE vm just sits there?  I assigned the RE  3 h/w threads and 6GB RAM, the PFE vm 1 h/w thread and 2GB RAM, like I saw suggested in the instructions, connected "eth0" on both VMs to the OOB switch, and "eth1" to each other, as well as adding 6 extra interfaces to the RE.

#23 Nerazzurrian

Nerazzurrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostHermanToothrot, on 26 December 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

Has anybody had any luck getting this to work with GNS3?  I followed the linked examples/intrsuctions in this thread, and converted the .vmdk files to .qcow2, like you would for UnetLab, and the RE vm loads up just fine. However, the PFE vm just sits at "Loading Juniper Linux".  

I was trying this in Linux Mint 18.1 using Qemu 2.6.0. KVM works, and is enabled. I was consoling in using gnome-term, and I tried to use an Arista vEOS VM as the OOB switch.

I haven't tried it in VMware Workstation yet (I don't have ESXi), and I'm trying to get Juniper to let me have access to the trial version from their site, to see if they have a KVM version, like they did with vMX, which I can get to work fine. Since I don't have a serial number (real QFX switches are too damned expensive), and I'm a one-man company, I doubt I'll have much luck going that route.

Any ideas on why the PFE vm just sits there?  I assigned the RE  3 h/w threads and 6GB RAM, the PFE vm 1 h/w thread and 2GB RAM, like I saw suggested in the instructions, connected "eth0" on both VMs to the OOB switch, and "eth1" to each other, as well as adding 6 extra interfaces to the RE.

Hello Herman,

I did the following and the VMs worked perfectly with GNS3 (either by using it as VMDK or QCOW2 inside the GNS-VM):

RE:

512M RAM
15 Interfaces of E1000 type (1st interface is for OOB, 2nd should be connected to your PFE's 2nd NIC, 3rd is not usable but must be there, 4~15 are your xe-0/0/0 to xe-0/0/11 forwarding interfaces)
2 vCPUs
-nographic -smp 2 -enable-kvm

PFE:

1GB RAM
2 Interfaces of E1000 type (1st interface is for OOB and 2nd interface should be connected to your RE's 2nd NIC)
1 vCPU
-nographic -enable-kvm

After connecting the RE & PFE's 2nd NICs together, boot up the RE & PFE together (yes you would stuck at "loading blabla" in the PFE's console tab) and wait for about 10~15 minutes (the PFE loads quite slow) and once you find the pic 0 hardware adapters are "online" by typing "show chassis fpc pic-status" on the RE, make sure they are also "up up" by typing "show interfaces terse" as they would appear as "up down" once the PFE loads then eventually all interfaces will turn into "up up" and at that moment you can use your RE to connect its 4th NIC to its 15th NIC (xe-0/0/0 to xe-0/0/11) to your other devices.

One side note that once the PFE's booting is completed, it will drain your CPU's utilization so you can cap/throttle the VM CPU to 50% with "normal" processing in the QEMU configurations but this would reflect the booting time of the PFE as it would take longer time to boot.

Regards,

Thanked by 6 Members:
somissu , cert0hunter , jigga822 , ntadmin1 , HermanToothrot , ciscoguy2014

#24 HermanToothrot

HermanToothrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 17283 thanks
  • LocationMonkey Island

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostNerazzurrian, on 27 December 2016 - 01:48 AM, said:

Hello Herman,

I did the following and the VMs worked perfectly with GNS3 (either by using it as VMDK or QCOW2 inside the GNS-VM):

RE:

512M RAM
15 Interfaces of E1000 type (1st interface is for OOB, 2nd should be connected to your PFE's 2nd NIC, 3rd is not usable but must be there, 4~15 are your xe-0/0/0 to xe-0/0/11 forwarding interfaces)
2 vCPUs
-nographic -smp 2 -enable-kvm

PFE:

1GB RAM
2 Interfaces of E1000 type (1st interface is for OOB and 2nd interface should be connected to your RE's 2nd NIC)
1 vCPU
-nographic -enable-kvm

After connecting the RE & PFE's 2nd NICs together, boot up the RE & PFE together (yes you would stuck at "loading blabla" in the PFE's console tab) and wait for about 10~15 minutes (the PFE loads quite slow) and once you find the pic 0 hardware adapters are "online" by typing "show chassis fpc pic-status" on the RE, make sure they are also "up up" by typing "show interfaces terse" as they would appear as "up down" once the PFE loads then eventually all interfaces will turn into "up up" and at that moment you can use your RE to connect its 4th NIC to its 15th NIC (xe-0/0/0 to xe-0/0/11) to your other devices.

One side note that once the PFE's booting is completed, it will drain your CPU's utilization so you can cap/throttle the VM CPU to 50% with "normal" processing in the QEMU configurations but this would reflect the booting time of the PFE as it would take longer time to boot.

Regards,

Appreciate the detailed response! I'll give that a shot later this afternoon, and report back.  I initially tried using virtio-net-pci  interfaces, since vMX is kind of a stickler for those, and I expected them to be the same. I guess I just didn't give the PFE vm long enough to load, and was expecting to see some sort of login for it, so I'll double-check the virtual PIC on the RE vm after waiting, to make sure it's online.

EDIT:  IT WORKS!!!   Thank you very much for your assistance, Nerazzurrian! :D

Edited by HermanToothrot, 28 December 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#25 Agony

Agony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • 140 thanks

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

View PostTopTopology, on 20 December 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

Thanks it worked but Pfe failed to export I'll try again later
when I set up esxi

hi, i can't boot re on virtualbox, pfe works fine, any ideas? please

#26 HermanToothrot

HermanToothrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 17283 thanks
  • LocationMonkey Island

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostAgony, on 03 January 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

hi, i can't boot re on virtualbox, pfe works fine, any ideas? please

Want the Vagrant .box files for Virtualbox?  It's the same release as the ESXi version.

#27 thesones

thesones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 498 thanks

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostHermanToothrot, on 03 January 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

Want the Vagrant .box files for Virtualbox?  It's the same release as the ESXi version.

Hi Herman, if you could upload the .box files that would be awesome!

Would like to give these labs a spin - https://github.com/Juniper/vqfx10k-vagrant

#28 HermanToothrot

HermanToothrot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • 17283 thanks
  • LocationMonkey Island

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

View Postthesones, on 14 January 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Hi Herman, if you could upload the .box files that would be awesome!

Would like to give these labs a spin - https://github.com/Juniper/vqfx10k-vagrant

Ask, and ye shall receive:

(uploaded the .7z archive to two different file hosts, just in case one gets nuked)

Link 1:

Hidden Content
You'll be able to see the hidden content once you press the thanks button.

Link 2:

Hidden Content

The passphrase to extract the archive:

Hidden Content

Just copy and paste the passphrase, since the dashes are included.   The login should be "root/Juniper", just like the VMware version (which works fine with Qemu/KVM, btw).

EDIT:  Considering how quickly links like these die, someone with a seedbox should grab the vmware and vagrant files, and make a magnet link for it, so late comers can get these, too.

Edited by HermanToothrot, 15 January 2017 - 03:40 AM.

Thanked by 91 Members:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top