Jump to content


2

Why 5 posts before allowing personal messages?

PERSONAL MESSAGE RULE

13 replies to this topic

#1 m6rk

m6rk

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Curious why i have to create 5 posts before being allowed to create a personal message.  What is the logic?

#2 certDude865c

certDude865c

    Advanced Member

  • Super Moderators
  • 312 posts
  • 10830 thanks
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

There are numerous of reasons.
The most obvious one is that it prevents abuses (for example, in a lot of forums, bots are able to register and then spam members quietly by PM to stay unnoticed by admins).
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.”

#3 Sayantan

Sayantan

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationBangalore

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:29 PM

Ok. Thanks for the update.

#4 m6rk

m6rk

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:24 AM

OK.  Thanks for the response.

#5 packet123

packet123

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • 8510 thanks

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:27 AM

View PostcertDude865c, on 30 December 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

There are numerous of reasons.
The most obvious one is that it prevents abuses (for example, in a lot of forums, bots are able to register and then spam members quietly by PM to stay unnoticed by admins).

finally now i know why

#6 hu1k4u1k

hu1k4u1k

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • 1578 thanks
  • LocationKingdom of Saudi Arabia

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:33 AM

Its good to post after 5 messages that means the real user or someone who really want certcollection he will send 5 messages

#7 BittLover

BittLover

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • 1197 thanks

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

i posted few ones and still see 0 posts :/
the bot dont work so well :-)

#8 gfreeman

gfreeman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 7 thanks

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

So people ask why? and then it is an oportunitie for a newbie to post a new message and get the desired 5.

#9 packet123

packet123

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • 8510 thanks

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postgfreeman, on 18 January 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

So people ask why? and then it is an oportunitie for a newbie to post a new message and get the desired 5.

oh i see your post is 2 and u replied smartly to increase post count but see my reply to remind of what u addressing in ur comment to other is all same. thax for ur smart reply which gave me opportunity to reply hehe atlast this forums root objective is this only sharing is caring. and the real joke is that post of this forum section doesnt count to our post at all hahaha.

Edited by packet123, 18 January 2018 - 09:51 AM.


#10 NooBToBe

NooBToBe

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3410 thanks

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:36 AM

Thats a good feature but i think it is bad use here. The principal objective of this forum is sharing for free a lot of cert/ressources, so i think when someone create a post to offer a cert/ressources it must be credited by 1 post. I go to my personnal case, i share a lot of pentesteracademy course that you cant find anywhere else, and i think that deserve crediting me of 1 post. i dont say all post deserve it, but the creator of 1 ressource sharing post deserve it :D

However i will make some post on the appropriate section for being credit 5 post :P

#11 MrR0b0t

MrR0b0t

    Cisco Technologies Expert.

  • Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • 8916 thanks

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostNooBToBe, on 05 January 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

Thats a good feature but i think it is bad use here. The principal objective of this forum is sharing for free a lot of cert/ressources, so i think when someone create a post to offer a cert/ressources it must be credited by 1 post. I go to my personnal case, i share a lot of pentesteracademy course that you cant find anywhere else, and i think that deserve crediting me of 1 post. i dont say all post deserve it, but the creator of 1 ressource sharing post deserve it :D

However i will make some post on the appropriate section for being credit 5 post :P

You seem pretty obsessed about post count...:) I am sure there must be a good reason why Forum Admins opted for such policy. As per my understanding, the reason why share posts are not counted because one can get tons of stuff around the internet which might not even really be required or asked by someone here and then start making new posts for every topic without breaking any of the forum rules.

And then why 5 genuine/non-share/discussion posts are required to PM, I guess its the privilege one has to earn. Now one could post random 5 posts just like the share posts scenario above but then obviously it will be considered as spam.

And actually, you kind of made a mistake ....you should have posted this thread:

https://certcollection.org/forum/topic/325063-what-pentesteracademy-course-do-you-need/

under discussion forum which would have counted as a "post" (since you are a serious/authentic member) and as many posts you would have made on that thread those would have been counted. You could have discussed and collected members' requests and then create Share posts.

You see...you would not have
"Do not mistake my Generosity for generosity."
______________________________________________________

-> Do not post useless "thank you" post.
-> Please use the "Thanks" button as shown in the  announcements
-> Help us keep this forum clean by reporting spam / scam / non IT related posts.
-> Please use report button to report posts / users.

#12 NooBToBe

NooBToBe

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3410 thanks

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostMrR0b0t, on 05 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

You seem pretty obsessed about post count... ^_^

Not obsessed more than everyone else but i have some PM by very good person who give me friendly advice or just want to talk and i just want to thanks them or just discuss about what they want, etc etc
The final result have the opposite of some goal of this restriction because they give their email, hangouts etc to discuss outside of here, but im not interested to give email (even if it is not my real email) or discuss outside of here ;)

View PostMrR0b0t, on 05 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

the reason why share posts are not counted because one can get tons of stuff around the internet which might not even really be required or asked by someone here and then start making new posts for every topic without breaking any of the forum rules.

That the goal of the forum, sharing all you want even if nobody ask it, if i must wait someone ask for all course/resource i have shared like burp or some pentesteracademy course ;)

View PostMrR0b0t, on 05 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

And then why 5 genuine/non-share/discussion posts are required to PM, I guess its the privilege one has to earn. Now one could post random 5 posts just like the share posts scenario above but then obviously it will be considered as spam.


Again the policy is odd because say welcome to new member count as a post, a share doesnt count, on a forum made for sharing thats pretty odd but however... The lounge doesnt count too, but thtas what make some relation and make the forum friendly no??

the answer about spam is valid for every section on the forum even the section who make your post count ;) You can post some random things in discussion, like you can do on the lounge/share/introduction/etc/etc thats not a good reason for not counting post, there is moderator who make this job well, even in the section you talked about ;)

View PostMrR0b0t, on 05 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

And actually, you kind of made a mistake ....you should have posted this thread:

https://certcollection.org/forum/topic/325063-what-pentesteracademy-course-do-you-need/

under discussion forum which would have counted as a "post" (since you are a serious/authentic member) and as many posts you would have made on that thread those would have been counted. You could have discussed and collected members' requests and then create Share posts.

You see...you would not have

And you prove it the non-sense of this policy ;) My post is about sharing every course guys wanted, it is a share and not a discussion, but with that system i must do a post on discussion to ask them what they want AND an other one on share section, everyone will be lost or someone like me who never go on discussion will never see it and we lose what he makes the post efficient and friendly ;)




It is not an attack agaisnt you or the forum or whatever i jsut share my feeling about this feature, im nobody and just come here, i dont want to say i have the best idea you make it bad etc if you make like that, you must have some reason (taht the reason ignore xD) i accept the rules, no problem, and like mavis say i dont want to use the PM to make some blackmarket, i can give my id to every staff member to prove it ;) that's the opposite of my mindset and my job is pay me enough :D

Thanks for the answer and i hope i will not be misunderstood about my intention

#13 MrR0b0t

MrR0b0t

    Cisco Technologies Expert.

  • Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • 8916 thanks

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

View PostNooBToBe, on 05 January 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

Post #12

I suppose its normal for everyone (even i did) to feel the way you are currently in this position.. but after some time i am sure you would realize that you were sweating over this way too much...

and see you already got your 5 posts in no time...so there you go..you got your PM..congratulations ^_^

And yeah..keep up this energy for helping the community here and i hope you will not let it fade away. good luck!!

Edited by MrR0b0t, 05 January 2019 - 09:15 PM.

"Do not mistake my Generosity for generosity."
______________________________________________________

-> Do not post useless "thank you" post.
-> Please use the "Thanks" button as shown in the  announcements
-> Help us keep this forum clean by reporting spam / scam / non IT related posts.
-> Please use report button to report posts / users.

#14 NooBToBe

NooBToBe

    Member

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3410 thanks

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

I even dont see i have my 5 posts xD

You can count on me i always help if i can ;) and i have some other content to share with the community and i think they will be happy :D

Thanks Elliot :P




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info


Go to top