#1 france

france

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:17 AM

Dears :

please any one can inform to me from where i can start to learn UNIX system and if threes any virtual machine for the unix

Thanked by 1 Member:
bbrahim04

#2 Tommetje

Tommetje

Cisco TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • 11124 thanks
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:20 PM

Some good resources to start learning about UNIX or BSD are Absolute FreeBSD, third edition by Michael W. Lucas and The design and implementation of the FreeBSD operating system, second edition by Marshall Kirk McKusick.

The first book can be found quite easily on the Internet in a good PDF format. The second I did not yet find. I sent an email to linuxacademy.com to ask whether their six cloud servers support BSD. If they do, you can get a subscription there and practice with those virtual machines. Unfortunately they don't have any UNIX courses (yet)... so chances are slim they will have BSD for their cloud servers.

Another option is to use VirtualBox and run some virtual machines on your own computer. UNIX/BSD does not need a lot of resources to practice. You could use as little as 128MB of RAM to get started.

#3 popyjos

popyjos

Vmware Technologies Expert.

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1129 thanks

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

Another option is to use a freebsd container or similar container using docker for Windows (or docker for MAC, but of course MAC OS is derived from BSD so...) The advantage is you don't need to install anything in a VM. Just worry on running the container and boom you are there (of course you need to install docker and have inet on-line to access Docker Hub)

Edited by popyjos, 09 January 2019 - 01:35 PM.

#4 Tommetje

Tommetje

Cisco TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • 11124 thanks
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

Sweet. I didn't know there are BSD docker container available. Thanks for the tip!

#5 Tommetje

Tommetje

Cisco TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • 11124 thanks
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:03 PM

Docker images of FreeBSD require FreeBSD as your host so you can't run FreeBSD in a docker container on Windows or Linux. So that means running FreeBSd in VirtualBox or VMware Player/Workstation. See also: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33864142/can-freebsd-be-run-inside-docker

#6 popyjos

popyjos

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1129 thanks

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:41 PM

Thank you Tommetje.

I know that. But just for learning purposes you can test. I have a running container in BSD just for my lab. It works for me but I am of course not developing any app just for basic operational purposes And of course I have the latest stable docker server/client/api  running and not old releases.

Edited by popyjos, 09 January 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#7 saidobamaleft

saidobamaleft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • 1023 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:26 AM

Is this still relevant in todays terms? BSD is the same as PFSense? Is this just because of the network stacks? Why would one use FreeBSD for a container instead of Linux ones?

#8 popyjos

popyjos

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1129 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

In my opinion now a days it is difficult to find any use case for using it except you work in this specific environment. When I tested it there were even not any official image at docker hub. So better use Linux containers using Docker or LXC if you want to work with UNIX-like containers

Edited by popyjos, 10 January 2019 - 07:48 AM.

#9 voodai

voodai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1446 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

How about FreBSD or Solaris 9/10/11 VM on VMware workstation? Not supported by Solaris but works. Good for hands on learning. All you need to is to download the ISO and spin up a VM. Just a thought.

#10 popyjos

popyjos

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1129 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:29 PM

Yes voodai it works. But you need to install a full VM Not to say the footprint of a VM is not comparable with that of a container.

By the way why should I use VMware workstation if FreeBSD/OpenBSD or Solaris/OpenSolaris works in KVM (a free product with much more performance and options if you use OVS)

There's no reason now a days to use a paid product like Workstation having KVM which is far better and production ready (except you have a Windows workstation of course ^_^ )

Edited by popyjos, 10 January 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#11 voodai

voodai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • 1446 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

I understand and agree with your point. But, if someone who already knows those container technologies and KVM will not be asking for a direction to start learning UNIX. At least that's how I interpreted it. I may be wrong.

Yes I do have a Windows workstation ^_^ where I am running 27 VMs ATM, 7 windows, the rest are all sorts of Linux & UNIX and a MAC. It's a my portable babe (over weight though  :D ). I am still a big UNIX fan as I started my journey with Solaris in Saprks platform about 20 years ago, Some times job requires it sometimes doesn't. We all have different ways/means of learning. We can share and everybody can choose whatever fits their needs.
^_^

#12 Tommetje

Tommetje

Cisco TE

• Technical Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • 11124 thanks
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

View Postsaidobamaleft, on 10 January 2019 - 04:26 AM, said:

Is this still relevant in todays terms? BSD is the same as PFSense? Is this just because of the network stacks? Why would one use FreeBSD for a container instead of Linux ones?

I would not use FreeBSD in a container. I was talking about installing it as a VM so you can get experience with it. I installed it natively on my servers and personal laptop.

Edited by Tommetje, 10 January 2019 - 07:02 PM.

#13 popyjos

popyjos

• Honorary members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • 1129 thanks

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

You are right voodai. I was just pointing out KVM is much superior than Workstation for those having a Linux Desktop. Of course if you are a Windows user then Workstation or Virtual Box (if you are not using nested virtualization) is the way to go for VMs.

PS.- Like you I started with Solaris in Spark wkstations and servers, HP-UX and my lovely SCO UNIX (from Santa Cruz Operation) later Novell UnixWare (running on Intel x86 !!! )

Edited by popyjos, 10 January 2019 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top