13 replies to this topic

#1 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the limit beyond 10 interfaces? my VMX only shows ge-0/0/0 up to ge-0/0/9

Thanks,
Daniel

#2 JuliusSneezer

JuliusSneezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 1469 thanks

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:13 AM

The old engineering prereleases, like 14.1R1.10 or 14.1R4.8?  I think 10 is the limit with those. I've never tried maxing out the more recent versions of vMX or vQFX-10K, since I'm pretty sure GNS3 has an issue with that.  

For example, Arista's vEOS supposedly supports 24 ports just fine when you run it in Vagrant.  In GNS3, you can still set the amount of interfaces to 24, but anything past port 15 or 16 acts all screwy.

Thanked by 1 Member:
qianxingnan

#3 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:20 AM

View PostJuliusSneezer, on 18 June 2018 - 01:13 AM, said:

The old engineering prereleases, like 14.1R1.10 or 14.1R4.8?  I think 10 is the limit with those. I've never tried maxing out the more recent versions of vMX or vQFX-10K, since I'm pretty sure GNS3 has an issue with that.  

For example, Arista's vEOS supposedly supports 24 ports just fine when you run it in Vagrant.  In GNS3, you can still set the amount of interfaces to 24, but anything past port 15 or 16 acts all screwy.

I think it is the limit of vMX itself. I configured the additional ports in vMX console but the ports are not in the list of 'show interface terse' output. Configurations are still there though.

Edited by qianxingnan, 18 June 2018 - 02:21 AM.

#4 JuliusSneezer

JuliusSneezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 1469 thanks

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

View Postqianxingnan, on 18 June 2018 - 02:20 AM, said:

I think it is the limit of vMX itself. I configured the additional ports in vMX console but the ports are not in the list of 'show interface terse' output. Configurations are still there though.

View Postqianxingnan, on 18 June 2018 - 02:20 AM, said:

That makes sense, because the recommendation is to give the vFPC vMX  and RE vQFX VMs 12 interfaces, and two aren't usable (1 is for mgmt, the other is the internal interface), so that leaves us with just 10 for both.    I hadn't given it much thought with the prereleased versions, since they were just a single VM.   I did try adding some of the extra "linecards" that came with the KVM version of 17.2R1 in order to get at least a monitoring interface going (as well as tried to get redundant routing engines going), and those did nothing, so it's most likely hard coded, except in the non-trial "I'll pay for the most expensive license you have" version.

#5 RICARDOADRIANO3X

RICARDOADRIANO3X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • 1759 thanks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

View Postqianxingnan, on 17 June 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the limit beyond 10 interfaces? my VMX only shows ge-0/0/0 up to ge-0/0/9

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi
Configuring the Number of Active Ports on vMX
You can specify the number of active ports for vMX. The default number of ports is 10, but you can specify any value in the range of 1 through 23. You can change this number if you want to limit the number of Ethernet interfaces in the VCP VM to match the number of NICs added to the VFP VM.
To specify the number of active ports, configure the number of ports at the [edit chassis fpc 0 pic 0]hierarchy level.
[edit]
[email protected]# set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 number-of-ports
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx15.1f4/topics/task/configuration/vmx-chassis-active-ports-configuring.html

#6 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:43 AM

View PostJuliusSneezer, on 18 June 2018 - 05:30 AM, said:

That makes sense, because the recommendation is to give the vFPC vMX  and RE vQFX VMs 12 interfaces, and two aren't usable (1 is for mgmt, the other is the internal interface), so that leaves us with just 10 for both. I hadn't given it much thought with the prereleased versions, since they were just a single VM.   I did try adding some of the extra "linecards" that came with the KVM version of 17.2R1 in order to get at least a monitoring interface going (as well as tried to get redundant routing engines going), and those did nothing, so it's most likely hard coded, except in the non-trial "I'll pay for the most expensive license you have" version.

Did you connect those extra 'line cards' via em1 interface toward the same RE VM? I read a blog written by someone but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Thanks,
Daniel

#7 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:45 AM

View PostRICARDOADRIANO3X, on 19 June 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

Hi
Configuring the Number of Active Ports on vMX
You can specify the number of active ports for vMX. The default number of ports is 10, but you can specify any value in the range of 1 through 23. You can change this number if you want to limit the number of Ethernet interfaces in the VCP VM to match the number of NICs added to the VFP VM.
To specify the number of active ports, configure the number of ports at the [edit chassis fpc 0 pic 0]hierarchy level.
[edit]
[email protected]# set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 number-of-ports
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx15.1f4/topics/task/configuration/vmx-chassis-active-ports-configuring.html

Have you tested this out and got it working?

Thanks,
Daniel

#8 JuliusSneezer

JuliusSneezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 1469 thanks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Postqianxingnan, on 19 June 2018 - 01:43 AM, said:

Did you connect those extra 'line cards' via em1 interface toward the same RE VM? I read a blog written by someone but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Thanks,
Daniel

I tried it out by adding those extra files for the "cards" and the extra routing engine in GNS3's slots for HDD images. Mind posting a hidden link to the blog entry you're talking about?  If I can find some free time in the next several weeks, I'll give it a shot with 17.1 and 17.2 vMX, and finally try out the latest vQFX, CSR1000v, NXOSv 9000, etc....

#9 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

View PostJuliusSneezer, on 19 June 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

I tried it out by adding those extra files for the "cards" and the extra routing engine in GNS3's slots for HDD images. Mind posting a hidden link to the blog entry you're talking about?  If I can find some free time in the next several weeks, I'll give it a shot with 17.1 and 17.2 vMX, and finally try out the latest vQFX, CSR1000v, NXOSv 9000, etc....

Here you go - https://jncie.eu

I replied with is in the other post as well. I don't know how to make the link hidden here and would appreciate if you let me know how

Edited by qianxingnan, 19 June 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#10 JuliusSneezer

JuliusSneezer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 1469 thanks

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:12 AM

View Postqianxingnan, on 19 June 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

Here you go - https://jncie.eu

I replied with is in the other post as well. I don't know how to make the link hidden here and would appreciate if you let me know how

Thanks! I'll try it out the next time I get a day off. :)

#11 kechik

kechik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • 172 thanks

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm try to add the additional interface using GNS3 such as url https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx15.1f4/topics/task/configuration/vmx-chassis-active-ports-configuring.html  but that command is not available. I'm try using single vm also the two VM version 17.1 but also not available that command.

Thanks
kechik, proud to be a member of IT Certification Forum since Dec 2008.

#12 RICARDOADRIANO3X

RICARDOADRIANO3X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • 1759 thanks

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

View Postqianxingnan, on 19 June 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

Have you tested this out and got it working?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Yes, It worked.

BR

#13 kechik

kechik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • 172 thanks

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:16 PM

Hi all,

Just to update the "number-of-port" command is not available on single vm but it work on using dual VM.

Thanks
kechik, proud to be a member of IT Certification Forum since Dec 2008.

#14 qianxingnan

qianxingnan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • 104 thanks

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostRICARDOADRIANO3X, on 21 June 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Hi Daniel

Yes, It worked.

BR

That's nice. I assume you got it working on the two-VM images. I am still wondering if there is way for single-VM pre-release engineering versions.

Thanks,
Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top