Computer Network/Tech support job interview, how to tackle "how’s your typical day question"?

2 replies to this topic

#1 slayer1942

slayer1942

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • 14 thanks

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:28 AM

Hello

Edited by slayer1942, 06 June 2019 - 01:50 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
idrees895

#2 jarjarbinx

jarjarbinx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:05 AM

Since you don't have experience i'd say to focus on Network/tech support role. Which would be a combination of CCNA/Network+ tasks and its not always remote it may have you work onsite.

If you are applying for network engineering roles those are for people who really have experience and know what they are doing. The key thing for you is getting an IT job.

Typical day could be resolving tickets in the ticketing queue, from performance issues (get prtg its free and add devices on there in gns3 to get an idea of network monitoring tools), network connectivity issues, assigning ip addresses from the dhcp server, adding dns hostnames, A records, patching cables from the patch panel into the switch. They ask how many tickets a day to see how busy you are. You could easily say 25 tickets on average up to 35 tickets on a busy day.

If they ask you what kind of issues you would basically say things that you yourself had trouble with in real life but use it as an example. Really think about when you were studying what kind of things didn't work right and it took you a long time to figure it out.

Some examples:
Vendor is trying to connect a device and the switchport is not coming up. You verify its connected to the switch. Do they have any special port requirements? So they tell you it has to be hardcoded to 100mb/full.  The port comes online.

User can't connect to the network. Do you see there mac address on the switch? if no is it connected to the switch?  If you don't see it connected to the switch check the cable. If you fluke the cable and it shows its connected to the switch. Check the computer if has the network adapter enabled. Does it show connected on the user pc or disconnected. Check if drivers are updated. This is all basic Network+ type of stuff.  If everything looks good on pc but it doesnt connect Try to connect a laptop to that port to see if it comes online. If it comes online then problem is on the pc. Nic card may be bad (they do go bad)

User cannot access the internet but they can ping other pc's in the same office?  Can you ping it from the local switch? Can you source ping it from outside that vlan? If no have them check the subnet mask.  You know stuff like that.

Make a joke about after they reboot there computer all there problems always go away

Edited by jarjarbinx, 31 May 2019 - 01:22 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:
slayer1942

#3 nestoriwanoff

nestoriwanoff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:38 AM

How to successfully combine work and study?

I always had a problem with how to combine work and study. You mention this in your text, which is very pleasing, give advice on organizing your time, which is very valuable and useful for me. But I also found a way out in another. I have been collaborating for almost a year with this company https://uk.edubirdie.com/research-proposal-writing-service, which helps me write my studies, scientific papers and research proposals. It is very convenient and inexpensive, but priceless in the sense that it frees up a lot of time for job.

Edited by nestoriwanoff, 19 September 2019 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Organization

Community

Downloads

Test Providers

Site Info

Go to top