As a result, your results may vary, if they do, post them here.
Part 1. Run the Pre-requisite checks and fix the warnings/errors reported.
First of all download the http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5aae62e8-4b7f-4af7-be01-aefaa4bf059a&DisplayLang=en and then run the EXE file which will unzip it to a folder of your choice (I chose to call the folder sccm2007sp1)
1post-1-1218226690.jpg 16.87K 35 downloads
Once unzipped you can burn that to a DVD or run the splash.hta file contained in C:sccm2007sp1SCConfigMgr07_UPD_EN
Once it starts you can run the prerequisite checker to see what you need to fix before continuing...
2post-1-1218226858.jpg 29.39K 33 downloads
you will be presented with a prerequisite check
3post-1-1218227202.jpg 33.79K 33 downloads
I left everything as it was and clicked on OK
once done you'll get a list of errors that need to be resolved such as below, double click on any one to see what the recommended action is and then action each one
4post-1-1218227590.jpg 54.27K 33 downloads
My first error told me that I needed to do as follows:
as this was a hotfix i was pleasantly surprised to see that Microsoft now allow you to download the hotfix semi-directly, you have to enter your email address twice and input a number displayed on screen, you then get an email with the hotfix download details...
So I downloaded the first one and extracted it with the password supplied in the email.
5post-1-1218228535.jpg 32.25K 35 downloads
While the hotfix installed I clicked OK on the prerequisite checker for SCCM 2007 sp1.
Once the hotfix was done installing, it wanted a reboot, so I rebooted. And then I ran the SCCM 2007 SP1 prerequisite checker again by starting at the beginning and running splash.hta...
This time however I was down to only 3 warnings
6post-1-1218229679.jpg 51.67K 34 downloads
Next up I had to do the following:-
That brought up a page with 3 download links (xp/windows server and so on).... confusing, inconsistent ? yep.. but I got the following file
I must have been lucky because when I ran the SCCM sp1 prerequisite checker again, I was only shown 2 warnings (below)
7post-1-1218230529.jpg 48.51K 33 downloads
Next up was my MMC update
Once installed, I ran the SCCM 2007 SP1 pre requisite checker again, it told me i still needed this fix, so I decided to reboot (the hotfix didn't request it), the reboot didn't help it still listed it as a warning...
so I viewed the ConfigMgrPrereq.log file (stored in the root of C:) and it had a line that read
Failed to connect to registry for KB940848 with 203 that lead me to http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3607027&SiteID=17
Using regmon from Sysinternals I found the missing key and made a reg file of it, if you want it make sure you've applied the correct hotfix first then:-
8post-1-1218396112.jpg 51.97K 31 downloads
As my SCCM 2007 site is mixed mode I chose to resolve this warning by doing as follows:-
To fix the FQDN error try the following:
1. Start SCCM Console
2. Click Site Database
3. Click Site Management
4. Click on Site
5. Click Site Settings
6. Go to Site Systems
7. Click on SCCM Server (where State Migration Point is located)
8. Right click on “Configmgr Site System”
9post-1-1218396245.jpg 82.56K 30 downloads
9. Click on Properties
10. In the "Specify a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for this site system on the intranet” change the Intranet FQDN to something like my example here
it was WINDOWS-DOBMTWV
I changed it to windows-noob.sccm2007.local and clicked apply,
10post-1-1218397526.jpg 44.92K 30 downloads
after waiting a few minutes for SCCM 2007 to udpate itself I ran the pre-req checker again and finally, success !
11post-1-1218397644.jpg 44.31K 29 downloads