Sign in to follow this  
mashti

Troubleshooting a Hyper-V protection issue in DPM 2010

I encounter a weird issue when I use DPM 2010 to protect Hyper-V virtual machines. I start Protection Group Creation wizard and prepare to add some Hyper-V virtual machines to the protection group. Unfortunately, I get the following error message.

One or more prerequisites for protecting this data source is missign.

Ensure that the following prerequiste software is installed on all the nodes in the cluster:

Windows Server 2008 with

Knowledge Base article 948465 (

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
)

AND

Knowledge Base article 971394 (

Hidden Content

)

-OR-

Windows Server 2008 R2 with

Knowledge Base article 975921 (

Hidden Content

)

AND

Knowledge Base article 975354 (

Hidden Content

)

If you have already installed the required prerequisite, refresh the agent status in the management tab and try again

ID: 31314

The weird thing is the above-mentioned hotfixes have been installed at the Hyper-V host machine (Windows Server 2008 R2). I double confirm it by checking the "Program and Features" and file version. Every prerequisites have been installed successfully.

Why DPM still thinks these hotfixes are missing? Let's troubleshoot the issue.

1. I select one affected virtual machine and upgrade it's Hyper-V Integration Component and then restart the virtual machine. The problem is persisting.

2. Based on TechNet article

Hidden Content

, I installed the following hotfix. The problem is still persisting.

975921 You may be unable to perform certain disk-related operations after an exception when a hardware provider tries to create a snapshot in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

Hidden Content

3. Now, I begin to suspect whether something goes wrong when I install these hotfixes. Though it seems these hotfix have been installed successfully, some files are actually corrupted. So, I install the following tool to take a health check against all hotfixes installed on the Hyper-V host machine.

947821 Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Hidden Content

4. After the tool completes, I find the following error in its output file CheckSUR.log.

Checking System Update Readiness.

Binary Version 6.1.7600.20822

Package Version 10.0

2011-02-14 15:25

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

(f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x00000000 servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2416400_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.mum Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7600.16385.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:

Seconds executed: 498

Found 1 errors

CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 1

Unavailable repair files:

servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2416400_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.mum

servicing\packages\Package_for_KB2416400_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.cat

Now, from the log, it is very clear that two files in KB 2416400 are really corrupted . In the situation, the corrupted files can be fixed using the following steps.

1. The following commands will grant logon account enough permission to access folder "c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages".

takeown /F c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages /D y /R

cacls c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages /E /T /C /G "UserName":F

2. Download

Hidden Content

3. The following command will unzip the hotfix to a folder, for example C:\Temp

Expand -F:* Windows6.1-KB2416400-x64.msu C:\Temp

4. After the above command succeeds, I run the following command to unzip Windows6.1-KB2416400-x64.cab, which can be found in the above temp folder

Expand -F:* Windows6.1-KB2416400-x64.cab C:\Temp

5. In the unzipped files, I rename files update.mum and updateupdate.cat to the following names and copy to "c:\Windows\Servicing\Packages".

Package_for_KB2416400_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.mum

Package_for_KB2416400_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.2.cat

The whole process is very simple. So far, the corrupted files have been fixed.

Now, I can add these virtual machines to a protection group successfully. The protection can also proceed without any issues.