Sign in to follow this  
RACFKO

Why can't I ping/trace route the switch, please help

Hi Guys,

I would like to seek you expertise regarding my issues in our network. We have 1 router (1841 with 2 FE interfaces) 1 Switch (multilayer L3 3560 24ports GBps). Here is the scenario, Router's Fe0/1 is configured with 3 sub-interfaces, fe0/1.5 (192.168.5.254 - for VLAN5) fe0/1.6 (192.168.6.254 - VLAN6) and fe0/1.7 (192.168.7.254 - VLAN7). L3 switch port g0/24 is connected to fe0/1 as a trunk ports to allow multiple vlan. switchport 1-6 is in default vlan 1. 7-10 are VLAN5, 11-13 VLAN6, and 14-18 VLAN7. Switch Intwerface VLAN1 is the management VLAN with IP 192.168.5.1 and default gateway is set to router's sub interface 192.168.5.254. Now i am consoled to the switch and trying to ping router IP (192.168.5.254) but i am unable to, i have tried same on the router, pinging the switch management vlan, but still unable to. What coulc be the problem? Every VLAN can ping/connect to each other. Every host on different vlan can ping the router's sub interface but not the switch. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jo

Hey RACFKO, sorry for the late reply. I noticed your switch his management IP-adres is in VLAN 1, but the IP address given to it belongs to VLAN 5. Could you issue the following commands on the switch and let us know if that solved the issue?

switch(config)# interface vlan 1

switch(config-vlan)# no ip address

switch(config-vlan)# interface vlan 5

switch(config-vlan)# ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

Kind regards

Tom

• Like 1

Or you can create another sub interface for the Vlan 1 on the router and use an entirely unique IP address range.