Sign in to follow this  
rscottuk99

Cisco Router 2610xm unidentifiable text commands

Hi all,

Recently purchased three Cisco Routers and 2 Switches as part of a CCNA Lab of ebay. As it turns out, one of my routers appears to have a faulty Serial interface as noted in a previous topic. Now i've looked into the third, and it appears to boot up in a language / set of characters that i don't understand. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

i meant your router console could be on115200 baud..try this rate first.. or reset it to the console access to default, like 9600.

Edited by ccna23

Get Your Teeth into this:

Troubleshooting Serial Lines from Cisco

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

After exhausting all options:

Contact the seller as to the problems you are encountering. If they are of any standard they will be happy to help you out. Remember if sold item is not as described you can claim a refund!!!

All else fails:

Clearly from your other communication you have no problem booting the IOS and entering commands in general. Re-install IOS? Search site for IOS, request copy or backup to a tftp server (PC) the version on the good router and transfer, if not provided. I know all this may put you on a rapid learning curve, so check instructions from relevant books and search Net for information pertaining to the specific ISO.

Good Luck and let us know of your progress.

Edited by paulbarron

Thats means.. you bought faulty router

Hi all,

Recently purchased three Cisco Routers and 2 Switches as part of a CCNA Lab of ebay. As it turns out, one of my routers appears to have a faulty Serial interface as noted in a previous topic. Now i've looked into the third, and it appears to boot up in a language / set of characters that i don't understand. Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Do you see any text that is readable at any time? When I look at it I see it booting.. you have the repeating characters as the image is extracted... So I'm wondering if it works, but the serial settings are set to not default values, as was said earlier. Connect another Cisco device to it to see if any of the ports come online, then use CDP to see any IP addressing. Perhaps you could get lucky and telnet into it... hey it's possible the config wasn't wiped either.

I purchased one from Ebay a while back that was being sold as faulty. The issue was the language set in ROMMON. It was actually set to English instead of UTF8. In your terminal application (Hyperterm, Teraterm, etc..) set the language from UTF8 to English. Also, inside the router is a hardware jumper to reset the baud rate to 9600 at power-up. Try that also. I got a great 3640 with 4 NM-2E2W for $9.99 because the seller didn't know how to get around this issue.

Thanks,

D

Edited by MacDude