netxhh

looking for Juniper M-series recovery image

Hi, I have a Juniper (says M20 internal backbone router), it cannot boot up now. Does anyone have recovery image for M-series Juniper? Any version is ok, any size is ok (cf512, cf1024....). I tried J-series image, seems doesn't work. Thanks very much.

Are you sure an image is what you need? M series recovery might be a little different:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
I can provide install packages.

Edited by ExamFerret

The link is using a USB but my M20 has no USB port (I think M20 is too old), or at least I cannot find one USB port anywhere. It only has a PCMICIA slot at rear side. Now it keeps dispaying "Trying to boot from PCMCIA Flash Card ...Trying to boot from Compact Flash ...Trying to boot from Hard disk ..." and refuse to go any further. I think I need a recovery image, it is a bootable image, right? It should boot Juniper up?

The M20 is a pretty old router, I've not used one myself! In my opinion your best bet would be to try dd'ing an install image to your PCMCIA card using a separate PC. This guy seems to have got the right parameters for getting the image copied, of course you'll not be using the JunOS shell when you do it!

Hidden Content

What size is the PCMCIA card? 512MB?

Do you have a PC that can dd to the card?

You can get the very latest JunOS install image for M20's here:

Hidden Content

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks. That guy built a bootable flash card from a working Juniper I think. The "/zero" option of dd seems is the key to make the flash bootable. My problem is my Juniper is totally un-bootable. Wondering how I can make a flash bootable from a PC.

Edited by netxhh

The router has a PCMICIA slot (bigger than a compact flash card), I have two compact flash cards: a 256M and a 1GM, and a CompactFlash PC Card Adapter which can hold a compact flash card. I can insert the adapter into the router.

Also I have a few FlashDisk PCMCIA PC Card ATA: 256M,512M,1G,2G.

I guess I need to boot up a laptop (one has a PCMCIA slot) with FreeBSD, then make a bootable flash card there.

Edited by netxhh

hi, ExamFerret,can you provide jinstall version ,thanks!!!!

jinstall-12.2R1.8-domestic-signed.tgz can be downloaded here:

Hidden Content

• Like 1

Finally made a bootable flash card. I found a laptop with pcmcia slot, boot it with freebsd, then use dd copied install-media img to a 1G flash card. But after booting up the Juniper, it cannot install jbundle because no enough space. How to solve this? I think 1G is enough.

Installing JUNOS on ad0...

Warning: Block size restricts cylinders per group to 93.

Adding jbase...

Mounted jbase on /mnt/packages/mnt/jbase (/dev/vn0)

Adding jbundle-7.6R2.6-domestic.tgz...

pkg_add: find_play_pen: can't find enough temporary space to extract the files, please set your

PKG_TMPDIR environment variable to a location with at least 293759180 bytes

free

ERROR: addpackage: error during pkg_add /var/tmp/jbundle-7.6R2.6-domestic.tgz

You are now in a debugging subshell (you may not see a prompt)...

# set

Not sure what the commands are from the shell you'll have, but you're going to need to delete some stuff in /var/tmp/ and try the process again.

How come you're using an old jbundle package? They're usually meant for upgrades.

I think the jbunble package is from the install-media image. I'll try newer install-media image you provided above.

The weird thing is there is no /var/tmp:

# ls /var/tmp

ls: /var/tmp: No such file or directory

#

Edited by netxhh

Hmm, see in the JunOS shell you could just do a 'request system storage cleanup' but I don't know is there's an equivalent in the recovery shell. Can you post the output from 'ls -al'