tyrion

Multicast VPN tips

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could share your experience on the lab regarding multicast issues you have found and tips you think would be relevant about it.

I did my first attempt and did not pass (Lab 3.2). One of the problemas was related to MVPN. I was sure that all I need was configure correctly, but router 12 was not able to ping router 14 and vice versa. R13 and R11 were working just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

That is why I would appreciated comments and tips about it. In my labs I did not face issues configuring it. Maybe in the real lab anyone have noticed a different behavior.

You need to keep an eye on your RPF, specially if the generated multicast ( ping ) traffic is coming to your receipient through its RPF interface. On IOU I have seen also situations, where I lost pim neighborship over the MDT in a core sporadically, resulting also in the same problem as you described.

it happened to me many time on rack.... at the end whenever i remove mdt default command and re enter... it works... what could be reason???

@itsmubi

you might be hitting a bug in the IOS, the removal and reconfiguration you use is one of the most usable workarounds. Sometimes there is a need to deactivate and reactivate even ip multicast-routing for that particular vrf.

Having the same problem. I have changed RP from R11 to R13, and vice versa. I can get reply from R11 to R13 and from R11 to R14, but any other combination does not work. My PIM neighbor VRF also does not show the MDT entries at all. I have tried removing and adding MDT default again but no luck. All tunnels are up. I do not know what else to do, may try with rack rentals. Right now I am using GNS3 and IOS.

Edited by ludek

Having limited access to XR, I had a hard time remembering how to configure MDT in the lab exam, I ended up resorting to checking the documentation. Good thing I have lots of time so this is one of the last things I tried to fix.

Key things i remember is to check:

in XR,

- mdt source Lo0 command should be there

- mdt default 239.255.x.x command should be there.

- the interface should be configured under the multicast-routing

- the router pim should have the vrf ABC and the rp-address commands

in IOS,

- the ip pim vrf ABC rp-address command is required

- PIM-SM should be enabled in the interface between the PE-CE and the CE-CE

- when redistributing from the CE, you should redistribute the connected routes, otherwise, you should always use source Lo0 when doing ping tests.

HTH