Ragedeep

Are You Using A Ssd?

i think at this point i might be able to afford a ssd for my bday coming up, and i think i can afford a 64gig or 80gig one, and i know they're insanely expensive but they improve performance significantly. any ideas? and my gf is getting me a radeon 5770 also

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
  • Like 1

Well you should go with the one of them, at least by taking their reliability and performance qualities as criteria.

Also, look at here:

Hidden Content

Go ahead with SSD for performance.

Have a look at wikipedia for disadvantages to avoid some state like 'Defragmentation cannot be performed on flash-based SSDs'

Happy birthday :D

i use a 64 gb ssd into eeepc, great performance than regular hdd.

very reccomended.

bye

keep in mind that SSD's have a limit to how many times they can be written to. After awhile they can be read only.

Go ahead with SSD for performance.

Have a look at wikipedia for disadvantages to avoid some state like 'Defragmentation cannot be performed on flash-based SSDs'

Happy birthday

Hidden Content

I got an intel 80gb and only because it cost me 130, direct from them from previous year. its pretty fast though, havnt seen really any downside yet though hopefully i dont ever

I am thinking of throwing a 128gb SSd in my MBP. OS X apparently does write caching and because of this is not prone to the problems windows users are experiencing with the Jmicron controllers in the cheaper mlc ssd's on the market now.

I have seen amazing videos of people starting 17 apps at once using ssd's but I am more interested in how this would affect preview rendering, image exporting, and batch processing. If you experience doing these tasks with lightroom, cs3, and an SSD please let me know

--------------

Hidden Content

|

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

|

Hidden Content

No experience but for the purpose of helping you make a decision, suppose the SSD is twice faster. It wont do it twice faster because the computer still have to process the files. For example: Process time 1 second, old drive 2 seconds, SSD 1 second. With old drive: 1+2=3 seconds. With SSD: 1+1=2 seconds. This obviously get worse with a slow computer and better as the processing speed increase. What may be interesting tough is to put aside a few gigabytes of Lightroom cache on that SSD.

For me, that question do simply go down to: Can that money be put at a better use?... New body? New Lense?...

---------------------

Hidden Content

|

Hidden Content

Further to a thread from me looking for old SODIMM RAM

don't forget the power of EBay

someone is BOUND to have what you are looking for

it's just a case of buy now, or try and win the auction..........

--------------

Hidden Content

|

Hidden Content

Definitely ssd's are expensive but they give you a significant boost in performance. But I am not sure if a regular user needs that sort of performance for anything. But hey in case you need it then go for it.

With the price of 5 X more than the regular Hdd the performance boost is not that great. Better to wait a bit for the prices to come down on them and then get one.