funabashi

vMX beta

It's look like u test under vmware Workstation right? Is there anyone success deploy under ESXi? still fpc cannot online.

Hi guys, I should tell you that distributed vMX (RE+MPC) works well in ESXi.

Only one you need is put em1 interfaces of ALL virtual machines (RE + n*MPC) into the same LAN (it may be Vnet or VLAN on switch or even separated virtual switch, as for me).

I have made the separated switch on ESXi, created VM Port group called "em1" (funny), and put all the em1 interfaces of all VM there. Also, I increased MTU of this switch to 1600. The promiscuous mode is not needed!

After that, on EVERY MPC you need to change the line

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

in /boot/loader.conf and put there the "slot" number which belongs this MPC.

You need wait relatevely long time to see the "Online" status and lots of "ge-" and "xe-" interfaces on RE (about several minutes, 5-7-10 or some around).

Edited by slimy_cat

Only one you need is put em1 interfaces of ALL virtual machines (RE + n*MPC) into the same LAN (it may be Vnet or VLAN on switch or even separated virtual switch, as for me).

I have made the separated switch on ESXi, created VM Port group called "em1" (funny), and put all the em1 interfaces of all VM there. Also, I increased MTU of this switch to 1600. The promiscuous mode is not needed!

Hidden Content

You need wait relatevely long time to see the "Online" status and lots of "ge-" and "xe-" interfaces on RE (about several minutes, 5-7-10 or some around).

Create a video manual for them in indian-like style

Hidden Content

"Нажмите кнопку ПРИМЕНИТЬ, затем нажмите ОК" :o

Hidden Content

Thanks Slimy_cat, great explanation. So you dont have to change any IP in EM1 on MCP1,2,n.......?

Also when mapping interfaces, you start at VMNIC 4 and map to ge2/0/0 and so on?

Create a video manual for them in indian-like style

Hidden Content

"Нажмите кнопку ПРИМЕНИТЬ, затем нажмите ОК" :o

Maybe you should do that Isergei and add something productive, it is a knowledge sharing forum is it not?

With subtitles of course ;)

Thanks Slimy_cat, great explanation. So you dont have to change any IP in EM1 on MCP1,2,n.......?

No. It is not needed. Moreover, you will not be able to do that.

Also when mapping interfaces, you start at VMNIC 4 and map to ge2/0/0 and so on?

Correct. It is mapped to ge-x/0/0, where x is your mpc number.

...and add something productive, it is a knowledge sharing forum is it not?

lsergei does a lot for this forum, but sometime he just wants to people try to apply their own efforts and think a little bit wider. In some cases, find solution by yourself is very excited, trust me

Hidden Content

Or, in the unsuccessful end, just explain your efforts and somebody will help you or point your mistake.

It is not very good practice to ask everybody "Explain me detailed, what should I do. I am very busy (lazy) to read these long f... boring manuals".

Be oriented to the result, and everythig will be great!!

No. It is not needed. Moreover, you will not be able to do that.

Correct. It is mapped to ge-x/0/0, where x is your mpc number.

lsergei does a lot for this forum, but sometime he just wants to people try to apply their own efforts and think a little bit wider. In some cases, find solution by yourself is very excited, trust me

Hidden Content

Or, in the unsuccessful end, just explain your efforts and somebody will help you or point your mistake.

It is not very good practice to ask everybody "Explain me detailed, what should I do. I am very busy (lazy) to read these long f... boring manuals".

Be oriented to the result, and everythig will be great!!

I agree, but I couldnt find any documentation on the vMX and the setup with the RE and MPC. I dont remember saying Explain to me in detail anywhere, but if I came across that way I apologise. Thanks for the information

Hi Slimmycat,

When u said change the line vm_instance="N" are u refereing change the "N" to slot of MPC right. By default the MPS should be vm_instance="2". So dont need to change anything or still need to change? Thanks and appreciate your answer

Hidden Content

Hi Hi Slimmycat,,

I'm already waiting almost 30 minute but the em1 keep resetting. Not sure what wrong.

When I add the second MPC, it pushes the CPU through the roof and disconnects both MPCs

[email protected]> show chassis fpc

Temp CPU Utilization (%) Memory Utilization (%)

Slot State © Total Interrupt DRAM (MB) Heap Buffer

0 Empty

1 Empty

2 Offline ---Chassis connection dropped---

3 Offline ---Chassis connection dropped---

4 Empty

5 Empty

6 Empty

7 Empty

8 Empty

9 Empty

10 Empty

11 Empty

Edited by madrouter

hi slimy_cat

for me it doesnt work in esxi, i have tried all the possible options..i am facing the same problem as kechik the em1 keeps restting.

surprisingly it works in vmware work station.

Hi,

Any one managed to run this in VMware workstation? Mine always stuck in bootloader.

thanks

Hi,

Any one managed to run this in VMware workstation? Mine always stuck in bootloader.

thanks

I have deployed it in Fusion, without issues. Try to deploy on a 32bit VM ;)