smartf0x

Open book materials in the lab

does any body know if there is a restriction about the openbook materials on the lab exam (in other word can we have a printed or handmade written materials or does it restricted to the authorized or certain materials ) ?

and can we freely search on it within the exam (specially within the cfg time)?

you are not allowed to carry any printed or handmade written materials to lab but you can use cisco documentations on their system

• Like 1

you are not allowed to carry any printed or handmade written materials to lab but you can use cisco documentations on their system

are this documentation similar to the one in cisco site ? and does it cover all cisco topics ?

are this documentation similar to the one in cisco site ? and does it cover all cisco topics ?

yes its same that on cisco website make yourself comfortable with cisco website and how to navigate between the topics so you can feel comfortable during exam. And yes it cover all the topics Edited by jawadali52

Be aware that there is no search function for the cisco documentation in the lab, so be prepared to know which section/chapter of the docs what technology is in, in other words, start using the cisco official docs now so that you know your way around. Also, the docs are restricted to the product documentation like here

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
so no whitepapers, design guides or such things.

No printed or study materials are allowed in the lab, so leave it in your car or hotel room. Second, there is a link for the Doc CD (old name), I believe the search function is disable. So if you have the new lab, and need to look up something, you better know where it is from their website's document page. Because you don't have much time to search or look for anything. This lab is never an open lab. Good luck.

'no search function for the cisco documentation" but can u search for text once u open a page? like u do on browser with Ctr + F

dynamo15aug15: yes, you get one or two sheets of blank paper, plus pens (most don't work, ie. are dried out). You can always ask the proctor for more paper. You have to return any sheets to the proctor after the exam. If you try to smuggle something out of the lab and get caught, you will loose all cisco credentials and be banned for life.

The instructions, diagrams etc. are on-line within the lab GUI, no printed hand-outs at all.

martek: yes, you can search within a page with Ctrl-F, but if you look at the doc cd it's usually divided into chapters even within a topic, so you can only search for that section. What you can also do is download the section as pdf, then you get the whole section and can search within the pdf.

example:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
(that's the ios config guide for IOS 15.4S)

as you can see, every technology is in its own section. Say you're looking for something about routing, it might be in the general "IP Routing Protocol-Independent Config Guide" like vrf support and the like, or in the specific section in the "IP Routing: Ospf Config Guide". You can't search for where what you are looking for might be, so you have to know your way around the cisco doc in advance, so get to know it now. At the exam it will be to late. Within a section, as I said, you can download the whole as pdf and seach from there, instead of going from html chapter to chapter.

Little tip: for example if you don't remember how to enter a "?" as part of a password: "Configuration Fundamentals Configuration Guide" -> first chapter "Using the Cisco IOS Command-Line Interface" then about two thirds down: "Designating a Keystroke as a Command Entry"

(btw. read that chapter now, I bet it has useful stuff in there for your daily work you never knew about)

I went with my clothes on, a jacket to keep me warm, wrist watch, phone, wallet with driver's license to the center.

Phone/wallet was put in the locker provided before entering lab.

they give you a4 size papers with sketch pens or pencils.

match the lab clock time with your watch and don't look on the wall clock, it usually can be at an awkward position, right left or behind.

No other material is allowed inside the lab.

documentation shortcut is available on the desktop just incase you need to refer somethin.

Edited by Coal

"you can search within a page with Ctrl-F," --that's what I look for, some people said not possible, so we have conflicting reports.

thanks

standard browser functionality like search with Ctrl-F worked for me, also within pdfs, that's all I can say. No search field for search through the docs like on the cisco page, though.