Sign in to follow this  
F15

Advice needed

Hi

With the new ccna v3 just out would you have to buy any particular routers or switches?

Thanks

F15

Hi

With the new ccna v3 just out would you have to buy any particular routers or switches?

Thanks

F15

You can use GNS as well, no need of real equipment.

Hands on experience with real kit is useful IMO. If you plan on going to whole way then i'd invest in 3x 2960's and 3x 2901's.

I like Cisco VIRL it takes some setting up but being able to use L2 and L3 devices in one program is convenient and $200/yr isn't too expensive.

GNS3 and VIRL are emulation software, that emulate physical hardware and offer the real IOS operating system and permits you configure that actual IOS software. PacketTracer and Boson NetSim are simulation software, which simulate IOS software. There are actual benefits from simulation software, which is that they offer graded labs which detect the commands you entered and will give you a grave on if you got the Simlet question correct or not. This can come in very handy when practicing for CCNA. However, a general rule of thumb is, real equipment is always best, and while Cisco 3550 switches are running older 12x OS, 3550 switches and 2600 series routers are dirt cheap on Ebay, and you cant simulate wiring your devices, crimping the cables, DTE DCE serial cables, bootloader issues, etc.

I got my CCNA using mostly Packet Tracer. Real equipment is very good, but for CCNA i advise to use software and for CCNP real equipment.

Hi

All

Thanks for your replies

You don't really need equipment for the CCNA. You can probably get by with PacketTracer labs.

I am using this at the moment.

Yup true

I have never played around with real equipment.

You can use GNS as well, no need of real equipment.

I tried but found it difficult.

Hands on experience with real kit is useful IMO. If you plan on going to whole way then i'd invest in 3x 2960's and 3x 2901's.

I like Cisco VIRL it takes some setting up but being able to use L2 and L3 devices in one program is convenient and $200/yr isn't too expensive.

I haven't had any hands on experience and was looking at 4 x 3560TS-E with 32meg to load ios15 and a guy at work gave me a mix of 2811,2821 and a 2851. I haven't had a look at the virl. Does it do switching as well?

GNS3 and VIRL are emulation software, that emulate physical hardware and offer the real IOS operating system and permits you configure that actual IOS software. PacketTracer and Boson NetSim are simulation software, which simulate IOS software. There are actual benefits from simulation software, which is that they offer graded labs which detect the commands you entered and will give you a grave on if you got the Simlet question correct or not. This can come in very handy when practicing for CCNA. However, a general rule of thumb is, real equipment is always best, and while Cisco 3550 switches are running older 12x OS, 3550 switches and 2600 series routers are dirt cheap on Ebay, and you cant simulate wiring your devices, crimping the cables, DTE DCE serial cables, bootloader issues, etc.

Thanks for explaining about simulation software. I never quite understood before. I was under the impression that the new v3 you needed to have all ios15 devices. Can you have 1 switch and 1 router with ios15? I have been looking at ebay and these equipment are pretty cheap. I'm from Down Under:)

I got my CCNA using mostly Packet Tracer. Real equipment is very good, but for CCNA i advise to use software and for CCNP real equipment.

This is what I was originally thinking but I think I need hardware experience.

DO NOT BUY ANY! You will be wasting money. Spend money on virtual labs like INE or setup your own via gns3. Maybe get the switches but that's it!

I haven't had a look at INE as yet but I will now. I will need to revisit GNS3 and I was going to get the 3560ts-E with ios15.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I'm looking into all these avenues now.

F15

Just start with Packet Tracer then upgrade/plan for GNS3.

For CCNA level, these should be enough along with 9tut help.

Reply me if you need Packet Tracer download link. I have v7 - the new one with practice labs.

Simply create account on Netacad & download it:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

• Like 1