Sign in to follow this  
ronin123

Anybody using VIRL for CCIE R&Sv5

Is any body using VIRL for simulating the lab environment for Cisco CCIEv5 ?

How can I get the .virl topology file which I can boot up in my system. I have tried creating the lab on my system and have failed to do so.

VIRL is completely garbage and totally unuseable. The support has turned into non-existent and the focus of the product now is to get commission from packet.net sales.. Months after the last release so many bugs still not fixed to make VIRL even usable...

I use it almost everyday for work and for study. It's stable if you know what you're doing. There is a bit of a learning curve and that tends to weed out the knuckleheads who want a point-n-click, lazy Apple approach to it. It's just fine for studying. I prefer VIRL over UNL. UNL is more of a PIA if you ask me. I prefer WEB-IOU over UNL, but any of the three will work for study purposes.

It is a great tool. I've it, but I don't think it is deserve the money, if you are using it for R&S track only!

GNS3, UNL, WEB-IOU, all can help, and all of them has no node limit as VIRL (20 or 30 nodes only).

Edited by dewtek

I heard from a friend (he works for a company that do many projects for large ISP in my country) that Cisco VIRL is on the verge of dying and no one use it anymore. I am not sure whether it's true or not

Been in this game for a long time...wasting countess hours with CCIE level labs on GNS3 Win/Linux, Virl at work, hardware switches at home etc. With UNL Lite, made more progress in the last 4 months then the last 6 years but that's life and newer technology.

The UNL Lite posted here is the best I've utilized. If you take the time to learn it, it is rewarding. Example: After completion of each INE workbook task, you can reload all routers in like 20 seconds/Dell R710. Thanks UD et al.