Sign in to follow this  
initramfs

Your job search strategy?

How do you approach your job search?

Do you use recruiters?

Have many versions of resume/cover letters?

Do you dread interviews and how do you handle them?

Any tips for IT job seekers with little/no experience?

You coming back to home study for 6 hours

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
/uploads/emoticons/default_sml.gif"> and this is your typical day till exam date

• Thanks 1

My approach:

I have a crawler which is going over the most popular website in Australia for a specific filter I created. Removes jobs where I have to apply on the company website as that process can take time. I apply to the remaining jobs. Skimming the jobs only by job title, not reading the full description.

LinkedIn paid (a must) and apply only to positions marked as EasyApply, for a few specific saved filters. I apply only once I receive an email from LinkedIn, otherwise it is difficult to manage the jobs for which you already applied.

On company website, I apply only if I believe I am a really good fit.

My CV has 2 (two) pages with a 3rd page marked as Schedule 1 where I detail the technical skills/products I previously used. I keep only one version of my CV. Advice which I myself I am not following: never stop from this daily routine unless you land an offer you want to accept.

This process gives me several phone-calls per day, 1-2 interviews in person a fortnight. Half of the leads come from LinkedIn without even applying. Remember, LinkedIn paid is a must.

How to talk over the phone:

Never answer anything about money, you accept market rate, ask what the customer is looking to pay for a similar skillset. Avoid confronting recruiters, a lot of them are just looking for leads and will try to ask for recommendation, want to speak with previous managers, ask about previous customers or projects. Always talk about your skills not the projects where you applied that skills. Mention you signed an NDA document.

PS: I apply to high profile jobs mostly so your experience might be different. Remember, you need to get exposure, not to be a perfect fit. Maximise the exposure in a minimum timeframe. 98% of applications will be a waste of time, but leave that decision to others, no need to decide yourself not to apply.

Second PS: I applied to a position as Business Development Manager once, it was for a cemetery management. My application was treated with so much respect and interest, even if I knew that the position was a complete no for me.

Hey I have a query I am totally interested in network and security but very very bad at programming and data structure i know all the theory for not practicals if i apply for network security operations or SIEM engineer type of job do they ask hard data structure type of questions ? in this type of position ? or hard discrete mathematics problems ? should I focus on those areas too ?