Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

IOS XRv L2VPN VPLS with BGP Signalling limitation?

I've been trying to get VPLS working in IOS XRv with BGP signaling but can't seem to get it to work. I've looked at various guides and some base configs but not matter what I do, my "client" routers are unable to pass traffic. My L2VPNs show they are up but I feel like I'm missing something else to complete the configuration. Is this a limitation in IOS Xrv? I've tried in version 5.3.2 and 6.0.1 with no success. This is ran over an MPLS core with TE tunnels. Are there any good labs available for these types of scenarios? Seems hard to find any service provider level books from what I've seen. Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Pegruder,

The XRv L2VPN is not suported in the data plane. It will take the commands but you can use it because the encapsulation happens at the line card level.

You can see the XRv not supporting VPLS supported at the release notes (

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
) Check table 5 at the end of the release notes.

The most common cases someone uses the XRv is to use its control plane features example Route Reflector (you only need a server with a lot of memory)

Regards,

Pegruder,

The XRv L2VPN is not suported in the data plane. It will take the commands but you can use it because the encapsulation happens at the line card level.

You can see the XRv not supporting VPLS supported at the release notes (

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
) Check table 5 at the end of the release notes.

The most common cases someone uses the XRv is to use its control plane features example Route Reflector (you only need a server with a lot of memory)

Regards,

Thanks for the reply! I think I found this article yesterday. It was driving me nuts as I wasn't sure if it was my configuration or not. I also noticed there is the XRv 9000. I'll have to see what the differences are there.

Hi happy to help,

You will find the same result with XRv 9000 it will take the commands but nothing will happen. All XRv lacks VPLS support.

Regards