hnorbi

CUCM - Simulation

Dear forumers,

I have a big problem.

I have two (old 5.x) CUCM server with licence. I want to make this system (this needs simulation an existsing pstn system)

So, there are a lot of "location" (7 location).

Each location has 4 digit numbers.

Between locations call make with "0" + "Location Nr." prefix.

The numbers always overlaps within locations.

For exampe:

Location 1

Phone1: 11-11

Phone2: 11-22

Location 2:

Phone3: 11-11

Phone4: 11-22

When Phone1 calls Phone2, the user dial "1122". When calls Phone 4 the user dial "021122"

Can I resolve this situation.

I created partitions for each locations, I can put phones with numbers into these partitions, but how can I do the inter-partition call routing?

Thanks,

Norbert

i am trying to understand your question. is it single site deployment?

lab scenario or production? pstn is part of the scenario?

Yes Mavis. You are right. If all the dial-plan resides on a single CUCM then CSS is the way to go

But of course the scenario can be quite complex to implement if there are repeated patterns in different partitions. In such a case you have to issue transformation patterns because the users can not dial the same number to call to different locations. CUCM is not smart enough to guess you are calling 1111 in location 1 or in location 2 or in location 3 or... To do that you have to insert some kind of transductor in the brain to pass this information over a wireless/wired medium to CUCM :-)

For example prefix a number which indicates the location. So to cal 1111 at location 1 user will dial 11111. To call the same number at location 2 then 21111. Of course this is one option between a myriad of choices.

If the sites are separated by PSTN or IP networks then you will need T1/E1 PRI trunks or SIP trunks or H-323 GW or Inter-Cluster trunks (if different CUCMs cluster are used) or BRI or FXO or E&M or ... You can route using route patterns and RGs and RLs structures or by other more sophisticated means.

But as said depending on the scenario it can be very unreal that is to say a paranoia. So please people use the KISS design method. It is the one assuring your hapiness

Edited by popyjos
  • Like 1

Hey popyjos, good to see you here

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">

I haven't quite understood norbert's scenario and the task, but i am sure, whatever be the task, it can be achieved...because cucm is damn smart & flexible

Hidden Content

/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png">

• Like 1

Yes Mavis. You are right. If all the dial-plan resides on a single CUCM then CSS is the way to go

But of course the scenario can be quite complex to implement if there are repeated patterns in different partitions. In such a case you have to issue transformation patterns because the users can not dial the same number to call to different locations. CUCM is not smart enough to guess you are calling 1111 in location 1 or in location 2 or in location 3 or... To do that you have to insert some kind of transductor in the brain to pass this information over a wireless/wired medium to CUCM :-)

For example prefix a number which indicates the location. So to cal 1111 at location 1 user will dial 11111. To call the same number at location 2 then 21111. Of course this is one option between a myriad of choices.

If the sites are separated by PSTN or IP networks then you will need T1/E1 PRI trunks or SIP trunks or H-323 GW or Inter-Cluster trunks (if different CUCMs cluster are used) or BRI or FXO or E&M or ... You can route using route patterns and RGs and RLs structures or by other more sophisticated means.

But as said depending on the scenario it can be very unreal that is to say a paranoia. So please people use the KISS design method. It is the one assuring your hapiness

Mavis:

Huhh,

Lab or Production? None. We make about 10 (railway interlocking) simulation in a year. In our simulations the guests use this simulated network.

Yeah, this is a single site deployment, with two server.

No, the real PSTN network is not part of scenario, but maybe a CME yes. The CME is also an isolated system.

The CSS can be define in any version. In our scenario all extension can be call any extension.

---

Popyjos:

The repeating patterns maybe bypassable. If the phones in location 1, use pattern 011111, and loc2 021111.

Can I do if I dial XXXX (where the first X never will 0), in location 1, the called number prefixed with 01, in location prefixed with 02.

When I dial 0YXXX, the dialed number exact, and don't need prefixes.

Yeah, I like KISS

Hidden Content

/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">

• Like 1

Hi all

@Mavis: I have also not fully understand the final goal hnorbi is trying to achieve.

Hnorbi you should think in terms of mathematical sets. Every pattern which resides in CUCM belongs to a set (called partitions) Then using CSS you built a set of sets (partitions) This set (the CSS) is followed by CUCM to find a match when a user dials a number.

That said if you dial XXXX without appending anything how CUCM should know you are trying to call someone in location 1 or location 2 ? For example imagine user U (with DN 1111) in location 1 wants to dial user V (with DN 2222) in location 2. He dials 2222 but there are two identical patterns (2222 in location 1 and 2222 in location 2) How CUCM knows you are trying to dial user in location 2 and not in location 1 ? If you put both partitions in the CSS of user U CUCM will stop when the first pattern matches and this will be the first partition you choose in the CSS. So the call will be deterministic going to one of the two patterns. So I don't see at a glance any choice except to append a prefix in order to differentiate at which location the user wants to dial. Maybe You can try playing with speed dials or similar (but requires more in depth thinking)

Hope you will get the point.

Edited by popyjos

In simple as suggested. it easy if you understand ..it is hard if you do not.

PBX system work with digit mapping and routing.

1. register all trunks with central point

2. route the calls based on the user pressed

So as suggested, if you have overlapping, number 1 XXXX for site 1, 2 XXXXX for site so on

3. your call routing plan should match the digit 1 ( and route call to site 1) site 1 then terminate the call to extention XXXX

good question

R!

Thanks Ramindia,

Very well explained and summarized.

But the problem Hnorbi arises if you have all the subscribers connected/registered at the same CUCM for testing or lab purposes (what I refered in previous post as all dial-plan residing at a unique CUCM) Then partitons, CSS and translation patterns come into place or maybe speed dials and translation patterns. If that is the case then it is a challange to make it work right. It requires deep knoledge of the rules governning pattern matching (which are not trivial) and in general of CUCM.