Sign in to follow this  
HermanToothrot

Thinking about adding some new kit to my home lab

While I was looking at ebay for some Cisco kit (different topic), I stumbled across a few other things that looked interesting enough to add to my home lab (and pretty cheap, to boot!)

I've been contemplating adding another Cisco switch to my lab kit, and I found a 3750 for a good price that also has IOS 15.x installed on it. The problem is, it's the ipservices IOS image. Can this model take an adventerprisek9 IOS image, or should I just wait for an IOS-XE based 38xx switch to drop in price.

I also found several extreme networks summit X450 switches for insanely good prices that I'm planning on getting, especially since their virtual EXOS VM thinks it's a Summit switch, and has a limited subset of commands available (just like Arista's vEOS VM).

Speaking of Arista, I found a couple of 7048-T switches, but they're still going for $500+, which is still too much for those, even though I can actually use all the commands with a physical switch (long story short, vEOS carves out any commands that manipulate the commodity Broadcom ASICs found in the switches, so ACLs, port-sec, etc...VXLANs in non-HER mode don't work).

I want a Juniper MX5 router, but those are still insanely expensive. Since the EX-series switches and J-series routers have hit EOL and EOS, think those would be worth picking up cheap? I'm basically wanting to learn JunOS, and I've got the trials of vMX and vQFX-10K, but they have steep system requirements. If those old hardware are good enough, I'd be willing to pick them up.

I was also hoping for another Cisco router or two (preferably something that ran IOS-XR or XE), but the only cheap devices I found were a 2811 that was missing most of the WICs and NMs (and also required me to buy the DSP module and some Cisco Phones). The other was a Nexus switch labeled "ONLY FOR PARTS", so I guess I'm sticking with NX-OSv. NX-OSv 9K, CSR1000v, and XRv 9K, unless y'all can recommend something to look for that's not several hundred (or thousand) dollars, and would come with enough modules/interfaces to actually be useful.

I basically do wireless work all the time, but I'm trying to learn more about Data Center and Service Provider stuff on my own.

if not worry much about physical kit, why not use EVE-NG and all available for labing.

R!

I've had zero luck getting EVE-NG working. I'm leaning towards getting a better PC (or a server) to run ESXi, and use that to run various VMs simultaneously (like vMX, vQFX, XRV9000, NXOSv 9000, etc...) or just go nuts with a GNS3 topology.

A couple of things I'm wanting to work on will actually require physical hardware, though. I've found some good prices on eBay and certain resellers/liquidators.

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">