Sign in to follow this  
qianxingnan

Maximum number of interfaces on single-vm VMX

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the limit beyond 10 interfaces? my VMX only shows ge-0/0/0 up to ge-0/0/9

Thanks,

Daniel

The old engineering prereleases, like 14.1R1.10 or 14.1R4.8? I think 10 is the limit with those. I've never tried maxing out the more recent versions of vMX or vQFX-10K, since I'm pretty sure GNS3 has an issue with that.

For example, Arista's vEOS supposedly supports 24 ports just fine when you run it in Vagrant. In GNS3, you can still set the amount of interfaces to 24, but anything past port 15 or 16 acts all screwy.

The old engineering prereleases, like 14.1R1.10 or 14.1R4.8? I think 10 is the limit with those. I've never tried maxing out the more recent versions of vMX or vQFX-10K, since I'm pretty sure GNS3 has an issue with that.

For example, Arista's vEOS supposedly supports 24 ports just fine when you run it in Vagrant. In GNS3, you can still set the amount of interfaces to 24, but anything past port 15 or 16 acts all screwy.

I think it is the limit of vMX itself. I configured the additional ports in vMX console but the ports are not in the list of 'show interface terse' output. Configurations are still there though.

Edited by qianxingnan

I think it is the limit of vMX itself. I configured the additional ports in vMX console but the ports are not in the list of 'show interface terse' output. Configurations are still there though.

That makes sense, because the recommendation is to give the vFPC vMX and RE vQFX VMs 12 interfaces, and two aren't usable (1 is for mgmt, the other is the internal interface), so that leaves us with just 10 for both. I hadn't given it much thought with the prereleased versions, since they were just a single VM. I did try adding some of the extra "linecards" that came with the KVM version of 17.2R1 in order to get at least a monitoring interface going (as well as tried to get redundant routing engines going), and those did nothing, so it's most likely hard coded, except in the non-trial "I'll pay for the most expensive license you have" version.

Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the limit beyond 10 interfaces? my VMX only shows ge-0/0/0 up to ge-0/0/9

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi

Configuring the Number of Active Ports on vMX

You can specify the number of active ports for vMX. The default number of ports is 10, but you can specify any value in the range of 1 through 23. You can change this number if you want to limit the number of Ethernet interfaces in the VCP VM to match the number of NICs added to the VFP VM.

To specify the number of active ports, configure the number of ports at the [edit chassis fpc 0 pic 0]hierarchy level.

[edit]

[email protected]# set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 number-of-ports

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

That makes sense, because the recommendation is to give the vFPC vMX and RE vQFX VMs 12 interfaces, and two aren't usable (1 is for mgmt, the other is the internal interface), so that leaves us with just 10 for both. I hadn't given it much thought with the prereleased versions, since they were just a single VM. I did try adding some of the extra "linecards" that came with the KVM version of 17.2R1 in order to get at least a monitoring interface going (as well as tried to get redundant routing engines going), and those did nothing, so it's most likely hard coded, except in the non-trial "I'll pay for the most expensive license you have" version.

Did you connect those extra 'line cards' via em1 interface toward the same RE VM? I read a blog written by someone but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi

Configuring the Number of Active Ports on vMX

You can specify the number of active ports for vMX. The default number of ports is 10, but you can specify any value in the range of 1 through 23. You can change this number if you want to limit the number of Ethernet interfaces in the VCP VM to match the number of NICs added to the VFP VM.

To specify the number of active ports, configure the number of ports at the [edit chassis fpc 0 pic 0]hierarchy level.

[edit]

[email protected]# set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 number-of-ports

Hidden Content

Have you tested this out and got it working?

Thanks,

Daniel

Did you connect those extra 'line cards' via em1 interface toward the same RE VM? I read a blog written by someone but haven't had a chance to test it out.

Thanks,

Daniel

I tried it out by adding those extra files for the "cards" and the extra routing engine in GNS3's slots for HDD images. Mind posting a hidden link to the blog entry you're talking about? If I can find some free time in the next several weeks, I'll give it a shot with 17.1 and 17.2 vMX, and finally try out the latest vQFX, CSR1000v, NXOSv 9000, etc....

I tried it out by adding those extra files for the "cards" and the extra routing engine in GNS3's slots for HDD images. Mind posting a hidden link to the blog entry you're talking about? If I can find some free time in the next several weeks, I'll give it a shot with 17.1 and 17.2 vMX, and finally try out the latest vQFX, CSR1000v, NXOSv 9000, etc....

Here you go -

Hidden Content

I replied with is in the other post as well. I don't know how to make the link hidden here and would appreciate if you let me know how

Edited by qianxingnan

Here you go -

Hidden Content

I replied with is in the other post as well. I don't know how to make the link hidden here and would appreciate if you let me know how

Thanks! I'll try it out the next time I get a day off.

Hidden Content

/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png">

Hi all,

I'm try to add the additional interface using GNS3 such as url

Hidden Content

but that command is not available. I'm try using single vm also the two VM version 17.1 but also not available that command.

Thanks

Hi all,

Just to update the "number-of-port" command is not available on single vm but it work on using dual VM.

Thanks

Hi Daniel

Yes, It worked.

BR

That's nice. I assume you got it working on the two-VM images. I am still wondering if there is way for single-VM pre-release engineering versions.

Thanks,

Daniel