Rev1

Advise needed

Dear all,

I completed my CCNP RS recently, however due to company requirements i have shifted my focus from RS to SP and started gathering information towards CCIE SP, my question is do i have to go through CCNP SP to get solid knowledge or CCNP RS background is enough to proceed for CCIE SP?

Thanks alot for your support.

Hi!

IMO, enterprise/campus R&S knowledge is literally not enough for SP, but is the good base and starting point to shift towards SP, as IGPs and BGP are the core protocols.

Current(old enough) CCNP SP track(until Feb 24th, 2020) and student guide materials consist of many topics which almost not covered in RS or covered in general, such as IOS-XR specifics, Multicast(not in depth), IS-IS, QoS, MPLS fundamentals, classical MPLS Traffic Engineering with RSVP signaling, MPLS VPNs - L3 and L2 VPNs, as well as BGP Inter-AS options and CSC(Carrier-Supporting-Carrier).

All these "core" topics(and some others) are covered in current CCNP SP track and I personally can't imagine how someone could just go over any of them.

New SP track since Feb 24th, 2020 will have even more tech topics - just see a blueprint for exam to understand better.

New SPCOR exam will be the prerequisite anyway, either for CCNP, or CCIE Lab.

So, don't try to skip, actually you just can't go over

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SP is a bit different from RS. so with CCNP knowledge only it will be quiet tricky to migrate to CCIE SP. dont get me wrong its doable but it will take you a bit of time, because you have to learn the new technologies of SP ie MPLS, TE, LDP, MP BGP etc. so to just migrate it will take you a bit of time.

my advice would be to download the INE SP v4.1 videos, go through all of them, no notes or anything , just go through them to have a feel of what SP is all about then you can be able to make your decision on whether to dive in direct to SP.

Many thanks all for your sharing your thoughts and provide clear and helpful advise and ideas, really appreciated. I totally agree that the gap between CCNP RS and SP is a lot bigger than what i anticipated, that is why i have already started the suggestion of @nickmhinduro to go through INE SP v4.1 once and decide after that on whether to start SP track from scratch or proceed with CCIE SP.

Once again thanks a lot for your kind support.

Hi!

IMO, enterprise/campus R&S knowledge is literally not enough for SP, but is the good base and starting point to shift towards SP, as IGPs and BGP are the core protocols.

Current(old enough) CCNP SP track(until Feb 24th, 2020) and student guide materials consist of many topics which almost not covered in RS or covered in general, such as IOS-XR specifics, Multicast(not in depth), IS-IS, QoS, MPLS fundamentals, classical MPLS Traffic Engineering with RSVP signaling, MPLS VPNs - L3 and L2 VPNs, as well as BGP Inter-AS options and CSC(Carrier-Supporting-Carrier).

All these "core" topics(and some others) are covered in current CCNP SP track and I personally can't imagine how someone could just go over any of them.

New SP track since Feb 24th, 2020 will have even more tech topics - just see a blueprint for exam to understand better.

So, don't try to skip, actually you just can't go over

Hidden Content

I agree with this 100% with this, don't take the shortcut. Definitely, it will be easier to pick up SP as you have and R/S background, but taking the shortcut will make you struggle in the long run. Even having several SP experience, once you do the videos we realized how we didn't know, they are very helpful

Hidden Content

/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png">

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

How will this work exactly? Will it be CCNA > SPCOR > CCNP > CCIE?

I am trying to search around on google but I can't find much. Cisco's website says "is a 120-minute exam associated with the CCNP and CCIE Service Provider Certifications" but there is no mention of it being a prerequisite to anything.

Edit:

Ok, just got off the phone with a Cisco rep. He said that for the CCNP you need to pass SPCOR and one of the other exams to be NP certified. He also said after passing the SPCOR you would be eligible to take the CCIE written (assuming you didnt want to waste time with the CCNP cert).

Edited by SunGodRa