NetworkGeek

CCVP....PSTN Simulation

HI....am studyin CCVP & tryin to build a home lab....cam anybody tell me how to simulate an PSTN Environment ?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,,,,Sham

• Like 1

Hi Sham,

There are a couple of ways. You can have an ATA or IP phone with the PSTN Dial plan pointing to it or you can configure another router as the PSTN router with one IP phone registered to it. On that IP phone you can create multiple lines each with the PSTN variants like Local, National, International. That would be the one that i would do.

Regards

Jon

For CCVP labs as PSTN you can use one router (eg. 2811) with PVDMs and TDM interfaces (E1/T1,BRI,FXO,FXS) plus CUCME and one IPCommunicator configured with couple of PSTN numbers. Check eg. CIPT1 Instructor Materials where Cisco 2800 + PVDM-64 + E1 is used there as PSTN.

if you have money, you can get a liberator product from Patapsco. its a ISDN MUX device, you can use it to simulate a PSTN environment too

HI....am studyin CCVP & tryin to build a home lab....cam anybody tell me how to simulate an PSTN Environment ?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,,,,Sham

you can use router with TDM interface

Hi guyz !

Have a look at this:

Hidden Content

Give reaction to this post to see the hidden content.

May be of some help.

Regards,

Kashif Amir

• Like 1

For real experience you can use MC3810-V, they are going cheap on ebay. You can get them in different configs T1, E1, FXO, FXS, E&M modules.

Although some commands syntax are old but to test PSTN dial plan and fail over they are still good.

The best way around simulating PSTN networks in your Home lab is by using Real Hardware. its not that costly in market of you really look for used stuff. go for a used 2801 Router which accepts Voice Cards directly into its motherboard. U need DSP chips FXO and FXS cards to practice Voice Gateway features.

The cheapest way would be to use a 1760 router that is what I have in my lab I have a 2801 and 2821 now but I couldnt afford those 2 years ago.

Hi

I use a 2811 with DSP in my lab, works fine.

For CCVP labs as PSTN you can use one router (eg. 2811) with PVDMs and TDM interfaces (E1/T1,BRI,FXO,FXS) plus CUCME and one IPCommunicator configured with couple of PSTN numbers. Check eg. CIPT1 Instructor Materials where Cisco 2800 + PVDM-64 + E1 is used there as PSTN.

that's right, get 2800 with PVDMs, E1s/T1s cards, configure CME and register 7900 phone working as PSTN phone and done.;-)

• Like 1

just in case, be aware that you will need to configure the E1/T1 interface as network side.

Cheers