Sign in to follow this  
peramal

Citrix Homelab

It is at least possible for CCA in XenApp 5/6. When I had my CCA XenApp 5.0 Course we only had an external PC as Datastore (SQL Database) and everyone had a PC with VMWare Workstation and 3 Guest OS (one Server 2k8 with XenApp 5.0 and 2 Clients with WinXP)

What Certs do you want to learn for ? And what are your home lab specs?

It's possible, but you need quite strong workstation. As Mesqualin said - you only need xenapp server, ad server and one client. If you want CCEE that you need 'real' server infrastructure as you need to have more servers at your disposal.

you can buy a pc to host the free xenserver on it with some local storage then create your different flavours of VM on them. In fact you could host the lot on it, DC, Licence Server, XA6, XD5. Once finished then turn it into a Vsphere server!

Depending on wht you're studying for of course, for just xenapp then i wouldnt bother but if your after some hands on and experience then definetly.

You main problem is RAM, more the better.

Stick xencenter on your laptop/desktop then connect to xenserver through it.

XenServer licenceing is free for a year.

For more than a 90 days licence just register another my citrix account.

You can also learn Netscaler and Access Gateway using the xenserver. Your main problem would be getting licences for Windows, but you could join Technet, but there a cost involved and its not that cheap for the first time of joining.

I run my home labs on a core2duo e6400, 8gb ram, 3 raptors in raid0 and another 3 reg drives in raid0. I have run them on esxi 4.1, xenserver, and now currenlty on HyperV. I like hyper-v the most because I dont need another machine to view my vms. Over all its good on speed. Just build the vms right, I agree with "Thecybermonkey" that ram is very important. You will always be limited somewhere if you dont have access or know how to get around Licensing. You'll have more problems with Licensing in the Citrix Area than the Windows area. If you a are Dev you might be able to get the 1 year developers License for Citrix. But then you have to deal with the 120 day RDS License or the 180 day Win 2k8r2 demo....

so I can use a xenapp server for a whole year for testing?

What about TS licenses ?

I need to test Citrix but without the TS licenses it won't allow remote connection on citrix, right?

I have just setup a lab today for exactly this! My laptop is a HP EliteBook 8450w, w/16GB RAM, Quad Core 1.73Ghz and a 500GB Hdd, setup in an app called VirtualBox.

I have 4 VM's. One for DC (and XA Lic server {dont do that in production}), one for XA6.5, one for Web Interface and another for XP Client machine.

You can get a lot of knowledge doing this coupled together with following "CBT Nuggets" tutorials WHILST you setup your lab...this should get to pass your CCA for XenApp.

As for XenDesktop and XenServer, you will definitely need to invest in a "beefy" PC/Laptop even better a WhiteBox, and install XenServer on it, and from there...your PVS server.

If you need any tips or guidance, then let me know and I'll do what i can to help you.

Take Care.

Martyn.

Edited by mtk83uk

The latest version of VMware Workstation will also allow you to install XenServer as a guest Virtual Machine (you need to turn on virtualise Intel-VT/AMD-V within the virtual machine). Guest virtual machines can then be installed within XenServer but the performance is very slow. This does have the benefit of allowing a XenDesktop test environment to be configured and witness the interaction between the Desktop Controllers and the Hypervisor layers.

i have build a Environment as follow:

VMware Workstation 8

XenServer 6 (running on VMware Workstation)

Windows Server 2008 R2 as Fileserver for iSCSI and CIFS (running on VMware Workstation)

On XenServer 6.0 the following Machines are running:

Domain Controller

Database Server

XenApp 6.5 Server

Provisioning Services 6.x

XenDesktop 5.x

Webinterface 5.4

As some other people mentioned, you can do it on a laptop.

Sony VAIO Z series, with SSD drives, vmware workstation, 8GB RAM and you can run W2k8DC, W2k8TS Lic/Citrix Lic/SQL, W2k8 XenApp6, XP or Win7 client - 4 VMs will do

I've just used amazon aws for labs - assuming i only need a lab for a day it only costs 10 bucks or so.

• Like 1