Sign in to follow this  
heartattack888

How to configure failover between 3 Main lines & 2 backup lines

i need an advice regarding the following question, how can i configure the following scenario ? i have 3 main internet lines & 2 backup internet lines , the customer wants to insert one of the backup lines in case one of the main lines is down to form a total of 3 main lines all the time , so please advice with techniques needed.

Use IP SLA and bind it on static routes or more intelligent use Optimized Edge Routing OER/PfR if your device supports it

Use IP SLA to monitor the main lines, use EEM to automatically re configure the router based on ip sla event checked under EEM.

Example:

event manager applet trackline&changeconfig

event track 1 state down

action 1.1 syslog msg "*** line is down ***"

action 1.2 cli command "enable"

action 1.3 cli command "config t"

action 1.4 cli command "int s0/0"

action 1.5 cli command "no shut"

action 1.6 cli command "end"

action 1.7 cli command "wr mem"

action 1.8 ... send email when job done, etc etc

Similarly, you can also modify/add or delete routes for the added/removed lines....

Think of this as you are sittin in front of router & changing config as & when required manually, but EEM does the same job automatically & is 100% reliable (& won't ask for overtime!!)

3 Internet circuits and 2 backup circuits? a topology would be helpful. But let me take a guess, let’s assumed you partition the network to 3 routes out to the Internet, I would use IP SLA, it’s a lot easier to configure than PfR/OER (btw does anyone ever get PfR and OER to work in a real life network?) , anyway, configure IP SLA to monitor and track all those primary Internet routes, then have the second route to those backup Internet circuits in case any of those 3 active one is down.

Edited by slimabs

well not much info to go off here, but assuming bgp as the routing protocol, just some policy based routing will do the trick nicely. but configs depend on the scenario, which i wont waist any time on speculating about.